Well, it rained. (no pics)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jshinal, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Big sheets of rain; hammering so hard you had to shout to be heard over it.

I even watched it rain around a corner of a covered porch for a few minutes. It’s high summer in North Carolina, there’s a thunderstorm in the forecast many evenings. But this was Forrest Gump-type monsoon rain.

We had a gig in a nearby small town, at their “Singing Grove” in a nice little park off Main Street. Hosted by the local Chamber of Commerce, they took good care of us. Gracious people. There is an air-conditioned back room with a wide, deep and well covered stage.

Summer here means 94F temperatures and 300% humidity. Even the air is perspiring. The first thing you set up at the gig is the fans. Show time was 6PM, we had a hired pro sound system and a guy who knows how to run it.

So, at 6PM we started our set – vintage R&B, rock and soul. The crowd was fairly into it, when they weren’t fanning themselves in the shade. Too hot to dance, but seats were swaying and toes kept time. We played well with no problems.Guitar Player Ken was on fire, his soloing was outstanding even for his skill level. Lots of fun.

About 6:20 a sun shower swept through, but the crowd was hardy and stayed. With about 4 songs left in our first set, a colossal tropical downpour cracked open above us.

We thanked the crowd as they departed, and helped our sound man and video man pull back their gear under cover. Our own stuff was far enough back to just get a little mist/spray from the splash zone surrounding us.

We pulled everything into the back room, dried off and encased things, and then unwired the stage. The line of thunderstorms continued raging overhead as we settled into the back room and had a second round of catered BBQ and chicken.

Loading the vehicles was done in rushes between storms. Fairly soaked and sticky, I got home around 9:30, about what it would have been without the rain.

BONUS : Free light show ! Some of the most enormous lightning I’ve ever seen raged past as we waited inside eating fried chicken.

The last audience members to leave were shouting for us to please come back. That was nice.

2. Weather can really "dampen" things. Been there too.

Thanks for the report, sounds like the crowd liked you anyway, that always ups the chances of coming back.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Rain around the corner has to be experienced to really understand. :D:laugh:

I live in the Pacific northwest and while we don't get the torrential monsoons in the summer, we do have some bewildering rain behavior in the winter and shoulder seasons. Like raining up into your face under your umbrella for example.

The lightning is a nice touch... we dont get much here... I miss it from my prairie days...

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Rain on gigs (and BBQ's) just suck!

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sounds like you really got drenched.

but it also sounds like the gig was successful as far as getting new fans and pleasing the audience! kudos for your bravery and perseverance! shame on you for not sharing pics of the BBQ and chicken! :laugh:

thanks for sharing your gig experience! :thumbsup:

Wisebass likes this.
  6. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Only while loading my car afterward. The amount of roof cover was the saving item. If this was a tent top over a flatbed stage, there would have been a $$$ lot $$$ of water damage.

JRA likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi jshinal :)

No pics? And clandestine BBQ chicks in the back room? => Undercover gig report! :laugh:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

JRA likes this.
  8. Bobro

Bobro

Feb 22, 2018
    Maribor, Slovnia
    Wehn I was stationed in the Carolinas, the locals told me a joke: "Don't like the weather in the Carolinas?" Stick around for a day or two, it will change!" Sure enough, went from sub-zero to tropical heat and humidity in the couple of months I was in Army Basic Training. "Freezing the balls off a brass monkey" to "sweating like a whore on dollar day". Crazy!

And the lightning, are you kidding? Only time I've ever seen "column lightning", what a sight! We also experienced a hurrricane (this was late 1980's), - sideways rain! Good heavens. BTW I have dibs on "Sweating like a whore on dollar day" as a Country song!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021