1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well it's official..I'm no electrician

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jumbo_steelie, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Yesterday while picking up a power supply for my noisemakers in Toronto, I happened across a sale at Moog Audio. The deal was no tax on all products, including pedals, including assmasters. Although I can't afford it, I said what the hey. The little time I have spent with this amazing!!! Oh, I got the silicon version.

Fast forward to today. I was crusin the effects forum while having my morning coffee and happened across a pic of 4stringmangler's board and saw he had a dunlop 105Q in front of his assmaster. So I says, I got those two pedals...why don't I try the two of them together? I ran downstairs with the quickness, grabbed the first two adapters I could, plugged everything in and pressed go. All I got was a loud snarling noise that just didn't sound healthy. It seems in my haste I the plugged the AC adapter from my whammy into my 105Q (thank god it wasn't the assmaster!!!)

After many tries with batteries and different DC adapters, the wah seems pooched The bass signal passes through it, but the wah doesn't...well...go wah wah. On top of that without even hitting any strings it sounds like its trying to pick up radio stations.

I'm gonna take it apart for a further look, but I was wondering has anyone else done the same sort of bonehead move? And is there any hope for my poor wah? Sorry for the long post, but the wife doesn't want to hear about this, and all the dog does is wag his tail when I talk to him. Thanks guys.

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    O yeah, I've repaired a lot of pedals with people who have done this.

It is actually a pretty easy fix, if the circuit is set up like most are.

Builders will put a diode in parallel with the DC line that if an ac current flows will burn out the diode but save the rest of the circuit.

So go ahead an take the bottom off of your wah. Do you have a multi meter or anything like that? I'll be glad to guide you through the process :)

3. Thanks a lot man!!! I do have a multimeter kickin around. First thing tomorrow I'll load some batteries in her and follow the steps. Thanks so much!!!

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Sure. What you'll have to do is look for the diodes(If you don't know, they are usually red with a black line on them or black with a white line.
    0_5w_Series_Glass_sealed_Zener_Diode.
    [​IMG]

With your multimeter on the continuity setting, test the diode by placing the positive lead near the line and negative lead on the other side. If the multimeter reads a short, you know you have a bad diode. Actually, go ahead and reverse the polarity because some diodes the line means different things. Again, if a short is read, you have a bad diode.

A lot of times this will leave a scourch mark under the diode so there is your first clue on which diode it will be :) Check the ones nearest the powersupply.

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yep, you definitely fried some diodes and electrolytic capacitors.

6. I haven't forogt about this BC, but I brought my multimeter in on my nightshift with me only realize I have no batteries for it!!! Thursday I'll probably be hittin ya with a PM on what to do next....thanks again!!

7. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    No prob, just let me know :)