Well, it's official. My first DB arrives!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Apr 10, 2005.

1. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    My new lefty Englehardt ES-1 arrived yesterday. I went to my luthier's house to open the box and watch him set it up for me. It is serial number 88330.

It's color is much darker than I was expecting. I was expecting the honey gold shade I have seen at Gollihur's site. It is more a dark red/brown, but I like the color and the flaming on the back. It has a good boom to it, especially with the A & D strings.

With my poor technique, the fingerboard is OK. But, when the luthier attacked the strings, he found a few spots that need a little work. I am going to play it as is for awhile and then take it in for fingerboard work, a new adjustable bridge, and probably strings.

Right now, I plan to practice, practice, practice. It sure is different from playing my Fender P-Bass.

2. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Congratulations! I like the darker color a lot, very classy.

Enjoy it. I'll keep on drooling.
  3. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I have at least a couple of weeks (and maybe as much as six) to wait for my lefty Christopher. Bob Beerman in Greensboro is going to do a setup (including new strings and new sdjustment wheels on the bridge) when it comes in. It will be my first upright as well. I have a few leads on teachers. Have to get someone lined up so that I'm ready when it comes in.

Have fun! Glad that there are more lefty basses out there!
  4. Beerman is excellent, he does great work I am sure you will be satisfied.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Nice! I LOVE the dark red stain! It looks much nicer than my EM-1, and I'm jealous. :)
  6. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    David Mix in Branford, CT has been tremendous in my search for a lefty bass. He has been very patient as I was initially looking to convert a righty to lefty and then he found out that he could order a new lefty ES-1 for me. He did the set up for me and will be giving me lessons as well. He has been a great source of bass knowledge.

He said that I was his first lefty so it was strange for him to do the setup in reverse. He had to set the soundpost, bridge, and strings. It sounds great and I am looking forward to many years of thumping on my "Boomer".