Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, it's official...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've started my own business. Well, techinically my partner and I have. We're opening up our own private practice which will offer speech therapy and audiology. We finally signed the lease after what seems to be too long a time... We were still waiting to hear back from the state if our corporation name was OK or not and while we were waiting, the previous owner of the building we are renting sold it and we had to renegotiate the lease with the new owner.

I ordered a boat load of evaluation and treatment materials last week (and I thought bass stuff was expensive) and they should be here this week. We are hoping to be able to move in under the radar while the building is getting forked over to the proud new owner (a very good guy, BTW) and be up and running by June 1st at the latest. I'm still kind of nervous and I kind of can't believe that I'm actually doing it but I think it will work out after we get all the red tape sorted and out of the way.

Unfortunately, this also means no more buying high-dollar bass (or any other) items for a while. :scowl: :crying:

No more loads of free time for internet fun. :eek:

No time for a band either, ( :bawl: ) but if this works out and I can eventually quit my day job, I'll start my days at 10:00 a.m. and have plenty of time for that! :help: :D

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Congrats man :). I'm proud of ya!

Ray

3. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Good for you. Best of luck!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Audiology, eh? Will you guys be doing the custom plugs, or just evaluations?

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on following your dream! I hope it works out for you.

6. That's one gutsy move. Way to go! :)

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Do you know Lilian T. McNulty?

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My partner and I are SLP's. We have someone working for us who will do both... I'm hoping to cater to all the deaf musicians in the area. :rollno:

Not personally, no.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Well, it would be pretty hard to know her personally. I just wondered if you had heard of the company :)

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Congrats, and best of luck to you.

11. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    Best of luck with the business! I wish you both all the best :)

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just saw this post... It's taken a while, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. Good times and congrats again friend. :)

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats great, will the majority of your clients/patients be Children for speech therapy?.

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks for the kind words guys... And yes, I think it will be primarily young'uns. :cool:

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats Joe-good luck with that.

16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    For people that are mildly deaf wouldn't playing things like bass be really good for them because they can associate the vibrations with the faint noise they hear? Maybe it's time to get a "work rig" :0.

17. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    My gf's cousin is a speech therapist working with kids, and he really enjoys it - best of luck Joe! :D

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Congrats! Baby Jesus loves small business owners! I've been at it for 3.5 years, and what a rides it's been. You'll never work harder in your life, but even if you don't make as much as you would working for someone else, the payoff is in knowing that you're working for yourself doing something you're passionate about. Big props, man.

A saying you'll come to know very well - Some days self employed = unemployed :D

Have fun and keep your chin up!

19. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Actually, it's costing me a pretty penny to do this already between lawyer costs, accountant costs, state fees, rent, materials, etc. It's worse than GAS!

It's starting as a per diem (as-needed) call-in thing after regular work hours, so the day-job is staying put.

karrot, I think that feeling the frequecies would have more of an effect for people who are more profoundly deaf. Usually, hearing loss tends to be more pronounced in the higher frequencies, so they'd typically hear bass a little easier... Crank up some bass-boosted Jamerson and watch 'em dance!

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Way to go Joe!

Congrats and I hope you corner the market :bassist:

(I almost worked out that ride Friday... but no go :( we'll hook up this summer maybe!)