Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well its official

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 28, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I failed my algebra class. So I'll have to retake it next semester. I'm pretty bummed about this and pissed off at myself for failing it. I'll be very lucky if I get a low C in my English Comp II class as well. The grades I got this semester are a far cry from the 3 A's and 1 C that I got last one.

I'm trying to put a positive spin on it, but I can't find one yet.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    WAW same here... i've been sickish for a while and well tomorow most likely my math and english teacher will tell me to retake it... i've been apsent 1.5weeks out of 4 weeks...

So you're not along

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That stinks man, I'm sorry to hear it. Consider next year a chance to truly learn the subject and excel in it and not just pass. You can do it. Algebra is simply a matter of learning the concept and then practicing it by doing similar problems over and over. I know that's a simplification but if you do not learn it the first time have someone go through it with you.

Things will get better. It's just a semester in what will most likely be a life of 75 years or more.

brad cook

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    allgebra used to kill me in hs. i barely passed by the skin of myteeth.

now, i find it to be easy as pi.

5. Argh!

I have one of those brains that math just doesn't work right with.

Took 3 times. Funnily enough, it was with a professor that barely spoke a lick of English.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe that's part of why you finally got it...you were forced to dig into it and learn it on your own?

brad cook

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    up until allgebra, math was a cake walk. i can do most math problems in my head. but algebra really hrough me for a loop.

maybe it was because my math teacher was really bad.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Algebra was the thorn in my side in 8th grade so I went the bussiness math dirrection, still can't think thru something logically tho......... :cool:

9. In all seriousness I can't do a simple math problem in my head, but I can tell you the name of the Japanese submarine sunk off the African coast in 1944.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    It's a little deeper than it just being a semester. Without this course I can't take any others that are related to the degree I'm seeking. (Nursing)

I'm going to have no choice but to retake it next semester. Hopefully, it'll work out this time. Since I can't get into Anatomy & Physiology or the Micro Biology courses without it, I'm going to take courses that will work towards an Associates in Arts degree, this way I won't need to take them down the road when I go for my BSN degree.

Guess I just found somethin of a silver lining.

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I just decided to fail my stats class and retake it next quarter with a different professor, I'm not paying good money each year to be stuck with a 200 year old man who can't give a good lecture.

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I had the same problem with in a 2nd year programming class. The instructor was from India and barely spoke English. Imagine learning another language from someone who doesn't speak yours...that sucked hard.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My math teacher is from the Ukraine. She's got a thick accent. I took her last semester for pre-al and at first it was difficult to understand her, but now I can understand everything thing she says. The words that is, not the concept of the equations.

Elementary Algebra is a prepatory course and I learned today I dont get college credit for taking it. So I'm not beatin myself up nearly as hard now.

14. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I failed Math 104, barely passed Math 102, and Philosphy 150 (counted toward the math requirement) was a joke.

In the end, I passed and made it through college (The Ohio State University), graduating with a 3.05 average. Not great, but good.

Bottom line: Math sucks, but if you're a liberal arts major, you have to suffer through it and hope for the best.

On the other hand ..

If you're good at writing, reading, etc., it will balance out the "hard" disciplines like math, science, etc. That's what got me my average.

Best of luck,

Alan

15. Hey Cass, do some online tutorials between now and the time you take the next one. I know finances are tight so maybe hit the local goodwill and see what's in the used software bin for algebra tutors for the computer. You've got a great Teacher starin' at ya and she will repeat the lesson as many times as you want! :)

16. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I've failed all of my college math courses on the first try, so don't worry about it, they're usually much easiser the second time around. Really.

The thing I've noticed about Math teachers (at least at McGill) is that they all have terrible accents and seem to be incompetent at teaching, and the reason they are teaching is that they are hired for their research skills., which sucks for students. :rollno: :scowl:

17. me too. i can do algebra, but i fall short at calculus apparently. i am doing my second semester of precalc. well, you want a positive spin on it? here's one...next semester, you will remember most of the stuff you hear, and you will probably soak more in next semester...thats how i am right now. i remember most of this stuff, and i think i have a good chance of passing this semester!

don't worry about it. do what i did. next semester just remember how you felt now, and think about how you will feel once you pass it and get the class over with!

good luck,
    charlie

PS. Phil, i know what you are talking about...most of my CSCI teachers all have thick Indian accents, and they are so genius to the point that a lot of the basic stuff is just a given for the teachers, so they assume that we know more than we do...it is really rough on the students, but one thing that works is to ask a lot of questions! heck you are paying 4K+ per semester, you might as well get your money's worth!

18. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    In H.S. I took the required 3 years of math. Six semesters, six "D"s. I simply could not grasp the concepts no matter how I tried. Algebra? Nope. Trig? Forget it. Not even freakin' Geometry, the one that's supposed to be easy.

For my college major I was required to take a Statistics course. I aced it. My thinking is that it finally sunk in and made sense once the problems and equations were done for a tangible purpose. When determining "x" or the area of a trapezoid, it didn't make sense. When the purpose of the problem was to solve a more concrete question, for whatever reason it just clicked in my mind. Even though I was using the same algebra to solve the problems.

That, and maybe because I was paying for the college course. :)

Just glad it's over. Hang in there, man. ;)

19. know how you are feeling cass.
    had a 2nd prelim today for maths that i had to pass so that id be OK to sit the final exam.

i spent ages studying for this. i was flying thru' past papers last night.

yet i dont think i managed enough answers (nevermind inccorect) answers to pass. im rather bummed. :rollno:

at least i went from a C to a 'good' B grade in IT studies.

gah, this week has sucked. could always be worse...

20. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm going to be entering Ohio University this fall, and Math has always been my strong point. In fact, I'm taking the AP Calc AB test this week :)