well it's sad but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calebplaysbass, Mar 8, 2006.

1. i already am dissatisfied with life. I just bought a 1978 ric and i LOVE it so much but my Jazz 24 sits completely forgotten. I HATED the preamp in that beast. i like the stock one of my brothers warwick better than mine. So i want a bass that i can want to play as much as the Ric. Maybe string up the Ric with some flats to get that beatiful McCartney-esque tone.

I am looking for something of a jazz orientation(true jazz or PJ i'm open) but i really very badly want it to be passive. I just find that i get more tones with passive and my hands then with a preamp. I was considering a Geddy Lee since so many here love them and i've loved my time at GC with them. But i've also been looking at maybe a used Rumblefish. I don't know what i could get for it so i'm asking the knowledgeable community here at TB and hoping for some good advice. So what's the word Jazz lovers?
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I believe the answer is included in the question...
    If that may help you let me give you a clue : it starts with "Geddy" and ends with "Lee"... ;)
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Geddy Lee
    Lakland Skyline JO or DJ

You can't miss with any of those. I have a JO4 that is a truly great playing and sounding bass.
  4. Get the Rumblefish!
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Check out a Fender Jaguar. It offers both passive and active electronics utilizing the Jazz bar style pickups. Plus series/parrallel pickup switch for additional tone control.

I've (temporarly) put down my 4001 since I got my Jaguar.

Worth a look.

6. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Agreed. The Jaguar almost IS a Geddy Lee without the BA II bridge. The nice thing is that if you disable the actives, the tone pot still works. Same neck size and pups as the Geddy as well.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'll take your burgundyglo...pretty please?:bag:

8. hmm...like the jaguar lots(the feel is beatiful) but i have to admit that i would probably buy some new parts(BA bridge etc.) and then wire it just for neck pup volume/bridge pup vol/tone. now i may sound real stupid by asking this but what is the series/parallel slide switch?
  9. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

It puts the pickups in series (one after the other, beefy sound but more noise susceptible) or parallel (both signals from one side of the pup to hot, both signals from the other side to ground but with windings reversed, cleaner sound, less noise, a littler more sterile) In general, I record in parallel and play live in series.