1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, I've done it now.... Ruptured Eardrum...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dannoman, Aug 5, 2007.

1. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    So Thursday morning ii was getting ready for workand i was using a Q-tip to clean my ears, went to switch hands and BAM!!!!! hit the q-tip and stabbed it in my ear. My god it hurt so freaking bad. Anyways Later that evening i went to a concert ( not a smart thing to do), and it has not stopped hurting and my hearing is fried in my left ear. So, i finally go to the dr, he takes one look in there and says, "yep, you gotta big hole in your eardrum"... No loud music, no headphones, no swimming or water in the ear ad it will eventually heal.....

This sucks, i do not wish this on anybody...

Just wanted to vent.....:crying: :crying: :crying:

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How is your sense of sound localization?

3. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    eh... thats not that bad, but it is affected somewhat...

I did had a hard time tuning up today just to practice around the house. everything is kinda hollow sounding and certain frequencies actually hurt.

4. ouch! you poor guy!

i hope this never happens to me.

good to hear that it will eventually heal though!!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Take it easy, man.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That happened to me when I was around 7. It was not fun at all.

7. Oh man, I saw the thread title and immediately thought "Q-tip."

8. sucks. im guilty as well for stickin q-tips and car keys in my ear. my ears constantly itch.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I once had an ear infection that was so bad it perforated my ear drum. This sentence bought all the bad memories flooding back.

Don't do anything silly while you're recovering OK. Let nature do it's thing and your ears should heal.

10. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    You could always use the oppurtunity to try to "pull a Beethoven!" But damn that sucks, no loud music.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Me too. And I'm guilty of doing it all the time as well.

Take it easy. Hopefully it gets healed fairly quickly and your hearing returns to normal.

12. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yea, but be happy that its not permanent!

i should be more careful with those q-tips too...

13. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Leave an earplug in it while it heals. It's probably not going to be much help to you while it's healing, and it'll protect it from loud noises or infection and whatnot.

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My wife's best friend was digging in her ear, and one of her kids screamed at the other one. She turned her head really fast to yell at them to be quiet...and shoved in the little wax digger thing.

She didn't just perforate her eardrum. She fractured to bones of her inner ear. This rendered her instantly and permanently deaf on that side.

I'll just pause here for a moment to let you re-read the phrase "instantly and permanently deaf".

She is a psychotherapist. Her job basically requires endless listening. I'm going to be an a$$ for a minute and guess that that is about 50% harder with 50 % as many ears working.

Be careful people.

And admittedly, I do it too. But I always make sure I am standing far from the door, in a room where no one can come up behind me, and I keep the rest of me still when I'm digging. I need my ears. And I've only got a vouple of them, so I don't think of them as 'one and a spare'.

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    The images described in this thread will forever haunt me. I'm serious.

[​IMG]

16. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Remember that you need to only use a wet q-tip in your ear. Otherwise, you can cause big-time damage. So get it damp or q-tip straight out of the shower. Jesus I sound like my mom.

17. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Wow, that is really sad. :meh:

18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You're freakin' me, Dude - You got me feeling kind of queasy, just reading that!

I gotta go...

Joe

19. bumpytrot

bumpytrot

Jul 14, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Don't even use q-tips... just rinse your ears out with water when you shower. If you shower often enough that should help a lot.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Q-tips are extremelly bad in all possible ways.
    They help infections and rashes to develop, they're the best way to get occlusions and wax cells, they don't any useful cleaning.
    Get rid of them now.