Well i've got a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlu, Oct 24, 2005.

1. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    this is not one of those help me pick a bass things, well sorta.

I must say i have little to zero experience in the studio. Alot of these bands i hear playing have such a clean bass sound. IS this because of the mixing or the bass they use. if its the bass then i would sure as hell like to know.The sound is so clear, no metal stwand from the string with no distortion what so ever. I often read people comenting on fenders for recording. I dont kno anything about fenders (i am a Warwikc man). I guess the percision standard has a clear sound from what i have read.

I am sorry of i sound like a n00b (though i am) i am a very curious fellow who doesnt feel embarresed asking dumb questions.
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Well, there's a couple factors going on here. I'll get you started.

It's easy for the engineer to take the bass direct in the board. No worries about miking the cabinet, you just plug right in (thru a pre or DI). This makes life simpler for the engineer-he's already got a million things to worry about, and if you have a good sounding bass, no worries.

You're not bound by this. When you record, it should sound the way you want it, but understand, if you're playing with a band that has substantially distorted guitars and you're distorted as well, you might get lost in the mix.

Your Warwick also probably has a clear sound if it goes straight into the board. It's pedals, overloaded preamps, etc., that make it not so clear.
  3. Everyone is new somewhere, but you might want to put more descriptive titles in your subjects of threads.

I recorded last week and did the first take with a fender jazz and subsequent takes with a warwick FNA jazzman. Both are clear and can be heard just fine. We're using the warwick tracks for the final mix and the producer is fine tuning the signals. He was playing with the bass track a while and I asked him what he was doing; he replyed to the extent of "i'm EQing the bass and guitar frequencies so they work together in the mix and can be heard more clearly." (meaning it's not the bass, it's part your technique, part mixing)

Anyways, Don't worry about your bass selection, worry about your technique and good luck.