Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well...I've got the stuff I need...now what?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I've got Cakewalk, a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter, and a Soundblaster Live sound card. Oh, and a bass ;).

I plugged the patch from the bass to the adapter, then the adapter to the 1/8 inch on the sound card.

Now what?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Push "record" and start playing.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I tried that, smartass. There was no sound at all when I played it back.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Turn up the volume.

/Smartass II

:p

5. Open your Volume Control icon in the tray at the bottom of your computer. Make sure that nothing is muted and that the sliders are all turned up.

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    which cakewalk do you have. IF you have sonar you have to select the imput then arm the track them push record.

Also, get a mixer or impeidence transformer. Your bass in instrument level....not line.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Why not read the manual :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whoa! I feel like a pigeon that just had a BB go through its head. Is that an IDEA, or WHAT?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Read...manual? Yeah, I'd do that -- but I got Cakewalk from a friend and the manual for my Soundblaster is under a 3 mile high mountain of crap in the storage room. I ended up fixing the problem, it appears some levels on the SB Live Mixing Station were low/muted.

Thank you for your rude replies, and for the people that weren't sarcastic wankers, thanks for your help anyway.

I do need some help though -- if I got a mic and mic'd the amp, would it still be "digital" sound? Trying to save as a MIDI doesn't work, because it's incapable of recording "digital" audio apparently. I therefore have to save it as a .wrk or a cakewalk file, making it completely useless because I can't send it to people unless they, too, have Cakewalk.

I'm using Pro Audio 9 and a line in from bass -> 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter -> sound card.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You got some things mixed up/wrong.

MIDI is just controller data for synths or FX gear, etc. It tells the synths when to play what note, for how long and with what sound.
    Has nothing to do with audio.

As for your miced recording, as long as it's in the computer it's in a digital format (you know, 0s and 1s).

Every audio signal you record from your soundcard's line in or mic in (aka analog(!) inputs) is turned into a digital format by the soundcard. When you playback the recording, the soundcard converts the signal back into analog sound.

So, for audio, the soundcard is basically a analog-to-digital, and a digital-to-analog converter.

The MIDI section of the card is just for recording midi data and/or triggering internal software synths or outboard gear with it.

Maybe moley and me should do that FAQ after all.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, that explained some things -- but I still have a question. How do I save this as a format supported by Winamp?

12. Hey there...

You've got a bad case of newbie-itis, but don't worry, it's cureable!

Here goes:
    You've got the audio in Cakewalk right? That is, you can play it back in Cakewalk and hear what you want to hear. What you need to do now is to "Export Audio" from the file menu which will "Mix down" the audio tracks and convert them to a Windows .WAV file. These tend to be big though (~10Mb per minute stereo recording at CD quality). If you have software that will convert WAV to MP3 then you can apply this to your mixed file. Alternatively some versions of Cakewalk will allow you to export to MP3 format.

Remember though that you don't need the full CD audio quality in stereo for a mono bass recording (unless you've applied stereo effects). Also, you can usually save as a lower quality if you just want to give a friend an idea of what something sounds like, rather than have a CD quality copy.

JMX - Yes, the time is now. Let us begin the FAQ!!! BWAH HA HA HA! Zig. For great justice.

13. Hey there...

You've got a bad case of newbie-itis, but don't worry, it's cureable!

Here goes:
    You've got the audio in Cakewalk right? That is, you can play it back in Cakewalk and hear what you want to hear. What you need to do now is to "Export Audio" from the file menu which will "Mix down" the audio tracks and convert them to a Windows .WAV file. These tend to be big though (~10Mb per minute stereo recording at CD quality). If you have software that will convert WAV to MP3 then you can apply this to your mixed file. Alternatively some versions of Cakewalk will allow you to export to MP3 format.

Remember though that you don't need the full CD audio quality in stereo for a mono bass recording (unless you've applied stereo effects). Also, you can usually save as a lower quality if you just want to give a friend an idea of what something sounds like, rather than have a CD quality copy.

JMX - Yes, the time is now. Let us begin the FAQ!!! BWAH HA HA HA! Zig. For great justice.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I meant you, MKS, not moley. Somehow I mixed you up :oops:

15. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I agree a FAQ is needed.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    See, you guys are pretty cool. Thanks for your help, guys, I managed to squeeze 'em into sizable mp3s.

17. Note that if you record into your PC by mic-ing your cab/combo/amp you will get the sound of your amp and cab but you run the risk of some idiot walking in while you're at it and saying "Whatcha doing?" Which is a pain. Depening on the kind of mic you use you may also get some of the room acoustics which may or may not be what you want. Other people (I'm sure) have commented on what mics to use when trying to record the sound of your rig. Try a search here. Using a DI (Direct Input) box from the output of your amp will allow you to get the sound of your amp and will boost your signal, which may be useful. You may have a DI output straight from your amp...

Within Cakewalk you can apply EQ as an effect, but you may not get the sound you are used to from your amp (alternatively you may be able to improve on your amp's tone!).

Happy to help, and we (JMX, myself and hopefully other contributors) WILL be putting together a FAQ for this forum. Stay tuned!

Mike

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You what!! How dare you!! :eek: :D (j/k)

19. My post count isn't anywhere near as big as his. One day soon I will get round to becoming a supporting member then you will experience the full fear of my avatar! ;)

20. Reading the manual is a sure indication of weakness and feeble-mindedness - real men don't read* manuals...

;)

- Wil

*actually, most kids can't read... (ooops!)