1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, looks like I'm gonna retire.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike JV, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Mike JV

Mike JV

Mar 19, 2019
    Since 2014 I've been working under contract for one of the auto companies. Was working in the quality department and I really enjoyed what I was doing. Things were pretty darned good until a year ago when I was told I was also going to be in the procurement department. Turned out 90% of my work was there and it was pretty stressful for the most part. But I gave it my best and learned as I went along.

My contract house called me up a little while ago and said we've got some bad news for you and that my manager at work doesn't want me there anymore. Said I was really lagging behind and that I had a behavioral problem. (??!!??). Both charges I strongly disagree with. My manager never talked to me but relayed this to my contract house who did the dirty work. But the agent was pretty cool and very apologetic about it. He even admitted that I deserved some answers. But as far as I'm concerned it's water over the bridge now. Funny thing is I'm not mad and I'm really not upset. I actually feel.....relieved.

I was getting pretty tired of getting up at 4 AM, dealing with the freeway traffic everyday, with the stress of the job and the long hours of which all was only going to get much, much worse in the next coming months.

So here I am, soon to be 67 years old and was thinking "now what?" Screw it. I'm gonna retire. I'm going down to Social Security this coming week to apply for my benefits. I was really hoping to work for another year, but I sure as hell don't feel like pounding the pavement again.

It's going to be a lean retirement, but I live a lean lifestyle anyway. I'm already thinking about all I'll have time for! I'm not sad and I'm not feeling sorry for myself because for all I know this could be a huge blessing in disguise. Who knows what possibilities are out there? Could be the start of a whole brand new adventure!!

I guess the only question I have is for those who are collecting social security. Any tips on applying? Anything to look out for? Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks for listening gang. No worries. It'll be good!

2. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Enjoy retirement. More time to play bass now.

barrenelly, baddarryl, Phud and 15 others like this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I retired just before I turned 62. I am loving life now. Do it.

barrenelly, Helix, woodyng2 and 12 others like this.
  4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I retired last December. No regrets. Not much money but no debt. Life is grand. Going to Hawaii in two weeks to see one of my kids. Retirement is great.

5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Go for it and enjoy.

6. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Enjoy!
    I've another 10 years before my pension matures fully at 65. I can't wait...mainly for the extra free evenings it'll give me to get out playing bass with others. I can't honestly say work's a problem, been with my place over 20 years now, and I'm pretty much left to just get on with what I do. I am SO glad I never went into management.

I've no advice on how you go about applying for benefits, etc., but there's plenty of retired folk on TB (@slobake for one), I'm sure you'll get the info and advice you need.

7. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    At 67 you'll get your 100% social security pay, They will deduct Medicare ins regardless but you can find a supplemental ins later on and drop theirs if yours is cheaper or better. At the time I received mine (2014) I was told the last ten years of employment is really important but then too I was told it all averages out. Unless the system has change, they wanted (3) months advanced notice before my birth month at 62 (I went early). Lucky for me with SS and a union pension combined I came in just under not having to pay taxes. I have no idea how long it takes in your case to receive benefits but unless they've streamlined the system it could be to 3 months waiting time. Hope i'm wrong about that. Welcome home big brother and good luck with retirement.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it.

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Enjoy yourself for a few weeks and then find something to do.... even if it's greater at Walmart. Everyone I know who retired and didn't take a part time job fell apart. My Dad still sells real estate part time in his 70s. It keeps him busy(ish). And it gets him out of the house. My mother stay8home and reads and watches TV all day and is losing her mind (literally). She's had three surgeries and is always at a doctor's office.

Like fishing? Take a few hours a week at a bait shop.

Like hobbies? Go work a Hobby Lobby a few hours.

But don't just stop.

Other than that, ENJOY!

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Good idea to go to social security and apply. The folks at the local office here were surprisingly helpful, you shouldn't have a problem. I suggest you have your medicare premiums deducted from you checks, that will lower your taxable income.
    Also, take a year or two to slow down and figure out what you want your life to look like. After that, jump back in to whatever beckons you.

Spidey2112, DJ Bebop and btmpancake like this.
  10. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    I would definitely recommend going to a branch office as opposed to doing it online. Much faster. You won't see a check for about 90 days, though.

DJ Bebop and btmpancake like this.
  11. Nothing wrong with retiring. Enjoy it. In fact I’d say congratulations!!! I work at a big hospital. My plan is to retire at 55 with 25 years in at the hospital and then I’ll move on to something different if I want or need to keep working . I know some people love to work, and I can respect that. My dad was a workaholic and he taught my brothers and I to have that same work ethic. But at the same time i think it’s depressing for younger workers to see older folks particularly those who are really struggling physically. It makes them feel like they will have to work until they die and never get to retire. It can also be frustrating when younger workers feel like they have to pick up the slack of people who are struggling physically. Not saying that’s your situation, just saying in general. To give some details I work night shift as a surgical technologist at a major trauma center. At night I scrub any emergency surgeries that come in and I also have several daily “chores” like pulling supplies for cases for the next day and putting away all the trays of instruments that were sterilized in the core. Our job description literally say “must be able to lift 50 lbs” and whenever the other surgical technologist I work with calls out I dread it because they always stick me with someone who can’t lift the trays which means a lot more physical work for me.

31HZ and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I was fired from a job that I was working 70 hour weeks... ( I turned a member of an influential family into accounting for doing some shady things). I ended out joining a band, and driving school bus.

Working 4 hours a day, not because I have to... because I want to... plenty of time to play bass and learn tunes in the afternoon. It took a while... but I figured out that being a workaholic sucks.

Now I laugh at those that I left behind, and suspect that I'll live longer and actually enjoy my life...

The same can be true for you.

13. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Volunteering is another great option, if you don't want to or need to work a paying job!

GregC, Auspuff, Joedog and 3 others like this.
  14. Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    ajkula66, Templar, 2manynotes and 7 others like this.
  15. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Guest

Nov 22, 2016
    The corporate world.

Now you can get out there and play bass!

Auspuff and One Way like this.
  16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    You might want to file for unemployment while waiting for your Social Security. I just filed. Get my first check in June. I did it all online. You need to file 3 months before your birthday. Your first payment date is a month after your birthday, but then for some reason they hold it for another month. My birthday is in April. I filed in January and got approval in February. My payment date is in May, but I get my first check in June. Typical government agency with stupid rules, but at least it is done. Enjoy your retirement.

Dwight, MYLOWFREQ and DeltaTango like this.
  17. Colin Cunliffe

Colin Cunliffe

Aug 26, 2019
    West Wales
    I was very lucky to be able to retire at 52, Im now 64. I lost my wife at 49 and it gave me a different out look on life. I had gone as far as I was going to, I was fed up with reinventing the wheel and some sprogg straight out of college telling me how to reinvent the wheel, only to come back 6 months later to re do what we had originally been doing.

I knew I wasnt going to have loads of money, but after a lot of spreadsheets I could just about do it. Best day of my life handing him my letter after another reinvention had been explained to me (6 months later he offered a massive pay rise he needed me to sort the c7#p he created - second best day)

So.... How the hell did I ever find the time to go to work?

I still play Tuba, I arrange for little combos, Ive taken up BG as a challenge, Ive dug out my RC planes, Ive moved to the country for quality of life. I cycle, walk the dog.......

To be honest there are several months when another £100 would be usefull but that is soon forgotten when I watch the news about traffic, trains, stress at work and turn the news off and have a lie in.

You are just about to start living, there is one bad thing and Im going to start a petition to go to goverment.
    Retired people dont get bank holidays (public holidays off) thats a disgrace :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

barrenelly, Gwyn ap Nudd, ahc and 5 others like this.

18. interesting job. are you a sterilization process technician?...I was thinking about going into that a year or two ago..even took a couple practice tests without studying just to see how much science I remember from high school and if with studying and classes I would be able to do really well on the exam..I think I got about 65% on this first go around, which without any classes or studying wasn't bad...A couple of people I talked too that were in the health field said it was not a great job and people get fired all the time from those jobs..So I never followed through with it.. I always see ads in job banks for them in most cities.

19. i loved my old job and planned to work until 72. Then the oil business cratered and I wound up back in the US working high paying but ridiculously stressful jobs. I am just starting a new job for the same pay, but way less stress.

If you are over 65, you dont need stress, long commutes or jobs run by clowns.
    You need time to smell the roses. Ive been to Big Bend 3 times this year and im going again next week. I am catching up on my bass playing as well. Take care of your health and stay away from booze and drugs. My current work plan is to work until 72, but only part time.

Edit. In my case, after 6 months, i found early retirement was causing major brain rot. I need to work, but I do it on my terms. The last decade, i worked a month on, a month off and that was ideal.I am fortunate to have skills that most millenials dont have.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  20. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    This is not financial advice! It's a suggestion that you get good financial advice. There is an advantage to putting off applying for Social Security benefits; the amount you will receive increases the longer you wait to apply up until 70. Once you reach 70, there are no further increases. I was struck by the suggestion of unemployment benefits. If you are eligible, they might allow you to stretch the time before taking Social Security benefits. And back to the original suggestion; get financial advice from a reliable source.

GregC, PWRL, dune and 4 others like this.