Well, looks like it's drugs again for me...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Yeah, if you are depressed, meds make sense

2. No, drugs are not the answer (Why?)

3. You should start doing meth

4. Inject carrots into your arm

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Meh, not the "bad kind"... we sort of...

I'm depressed pretty bad again, my dad died, I can't decided what I want to do with my life, all my friends have gone astray or are just hard to get a hold of. I think I'm going to go back on depression meds. But I've had a history of hating them, I ocasionally dig depression, it makes me reflective and more thoughtful, but at the same time, I don't want to go out and do anything to fix my life. Oh and P.S. I hate counceling, I won't tell you why because that's another argument totally unrelated.

Just wanted to know what ya'll think.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends on the kind of depression you have, I guess, but I think even with medication it's recommended to have counseling too.
    I had counseling for some time, the first therapist sucked, the one after that was great and really helped me to get ahead.
    But the best remedy I ever had was my new girlfriend.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I think with your current situation, if a medical professional recommends an anti depressant, it may not be a bad thing. You sound like there is quite a bit on your plate now.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Check out Alcoholics Anonymous. Seriously. I don't know exactly where you're located, but here in LA there's a thriving community of people who are dealing with problems like yours, on an ongoing day-to-day basis. And, you don't have to be an alcoholic to grok what they're saying. There's plenty of wisdom in their approach to life. Check it out. Go to a meeting every day, for two weeks. If that doesn't resonate with your state of mind, then abandon it. But at least it's worth a checkout. There's more depression there than you can shake a stick at. But very few of those people are taking psych meds. And the ones that do, are usually "really truly" depressed. That's a hard judgement to make sometimes, whether it's clinical depression or not. But if I were you, I'd exhaust all other options first. My "last choice" would be psych meds. If they're necessary, they're necessary. But there's a lot more to the equation than just a few neurotransmitters. At least that's been my experience. (Been there, done that). :)
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Three words, one cure: scratch-off-lotto!

Anyway, laugh it off...seriously. I've had my fair share of downs in the last couple of years, and a good laugh everyday is enough to bring you up a noticeable amount...
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Apart from turning you oompa loompa orange, injecting carrots into your arm should provide you with plenty vitamin A.
  7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Sounds like you've had it rough. We've all been there at one point or another. It's part of being human. My remedy has always been to attack on several fronts - Fitness - get out and do something, even if it's just goping for a walk eveyday. Running and mountain biking is my particular drug. It lets me get my endorphins flowing (a natural mood enhancer if there ever were one) and to simultaneously spend time alone with my thoughts to sort them out. Second, I throw myself completely into whatever project I have going at the time. This helps me maintain focus. Third (or perhaps this should be first), I take the time to count the blessings I have in my life, to be thankful that I am here in the land of opportunity and not somewhere else, and to understand that the bad feelings will pass.

Hang in there!
  8. dude, get active... shoot hoops, go running, mountain biking, anything. first you gotta get your mind on positive things. you've already hit rock-bottom it sounds like.. you can only go up. but seriously, get off your computer get out and try stuff.... even if it's only walking.. you gotta do it or you'll dig yourself into a hole.
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wise words. Exercise your ass off. It's amazing how much it will help your mental health. Get off the damn computer!
  10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Exercising worked best for me when I was depressed. You release mucho endorphins when you weightlift or do aerobic exercise longer than 20 minutes. It will help you feel better because you are doing good things for your body and releasing those all important endorphins. I found this to work better then any antidepressant I've tried.

Most Docs won't give you pills without counseling. The whole idea is the pills are supposed to give you a temporary lift while you work out the cause behind the depression with your counselor.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow, I never would have though of that... even though I'm not quite sure what grok means. :bag:

I'm still a little on the fence about medication. I think one thing I'm going to try to hang out with an old friend of mine who I rarely see. He's just hard to get ahold of (because he doesn't pay phone bills) but we jam and have the strangest conversations. I just need a break.
  12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Agreed. Taking drugs "just because life is tough" is rarely a wise choice. As per previous posts, exercise is a great first option. There are "many" options to explore before psych meds. Those types of meds will screw you up faster than the depression will. My wife works with adolescents, some of whom have severe emotional problems. She's effectively a "first level of triage" before the psychiatrists get to those kids. She's not a psychiatrist, she can't prescibe drugs, and she's proud of that concept. She's steered a whole lot of people in a positive direction. I can't even being to fathom her methods, all I can tell you is she's real smart, and she's currently on a fellowship overseas, enlightening others to her approach(es). She's used all the "classical" methods, like meditation, accupuncture, verbal interaction, and so on. At the end of the day, her comment is, that most people who "think" they need drugs, don't. Life is uncomfortable sometimes, but that's how we grow, in the sense that how we "respond" to that kind of thing is important. Three years ago, I lost a dear friend due to drug and alcohol abuse. She just went off the deep end, is all. It didn't take long either. We laid her to rest at Forest Lawn, and I don't even believe she realized how many friends she had, that cared about her very much. It affected me deeply, I went into a blue funk for several weeks, unable to do anything, not even trivial stuff like take out the trash. Sometimes life's that way. It's how one responds to it that counts. ! :)
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I honestly have suffered with depression for years... And I've never done anything about it. It makes me the "Outcast" (Bassist) that doesnt fit in. It makes me more vigilant and I can read people much easier than before, It *MAKES* me reflect upon my self constantly and be self-aware of my surroundings. It makes me paranoid, and "Hyper-Sensitive" to any sign of rejection to my friends, family, or lover. I always Portrey myself as an A$$ Clown and say stupid Stuff, and "Act" happy and content with life... But sometimes I get REAL serious.

But I cant live any other way, and though I dont like it, I could never leave it... Its a Catch 22, Its a Handicap, and a safety bar at the same time... It makes me fall, but it will ALWAYS catch me before I hit the ground...

That being said, I would tell *YOU* to do something about it... Losing friends hurts, but you can make new ones... Talking with people helps.
  14. I take pharmacology i college, and we discuss things like depression drugs and such. one topic in class was about how to treat depression, as in if meds are worth taking or if other meathods are better. It really does depend on the person, there are many types of depression. Overall occasional depression, and depression due to events tend to show that lifestyle changes, therapists and non medical courses of treatment worked just as well or better then any medication. St. Johns wart is a herbal remedy that if you are hellbent on taking a pill for your depression, shows some signs of improvement. The best advice i can give you is to find someone to talk to, someway to vent, and to take care of yourself before it gets worse. It is a fact that everybody experiences some sorta depression at least once in their life. You definatly are not alone.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You would need to read Heinlein's "Stranger In A Strange Land".

Then you could grok its essence in fullness. :)
  16. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Heard, and understood. :)

I think I'm at the same point myself, right about now. :D

Grok just means "understand the essence of". It means, "get" the central concept.

A break is a good thing. I can totally relate to that. Once in a while I disappear for a couple of weeks, without telling anyone but my wife what's going on. She totally understands, and she picks up the slack while I'm gone (God bless her). :)

At the moment, I'm in a hospital bed with an IV drip in me, and my wife is overseas, so my band buddies are picking up the ball, and keeping me company.

And you guys. TB is the best thing since sliced bread!

On the other hand, it's not really a substitute for human interaction. There's a lot to be said for touching another human being, and allowing them to touch you. Sometimes the "allowing" is the hard part. :)

Hang in there bud. You'll make it. Try to reach out to as many people as you can. :):):)
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Please don't inject me :(

18. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nothing compares to a natural high. Take control of your life. Drugs aren't going to change you that much.

Start doing things you want to do and stop living a life of regret.
  19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I like the meth idea.
  20. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004