Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, my bass friends, today I took the plunge to the low side.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Lone Strang, Dec 30, 2005.

1. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    After reading reviews for about three months, and playing around, I took the plunge and ordered an SX jazz bass, with the ashtrays, and a sunburst finish.

I am so jazzzed. I have been playing guitar for about 40 years, and messed around with a bass at church for a couple of years, but this is my first bass! I can hardly wait to get it and plug in?

Thanks all, for all the help, and for answering so many newbie, stupid, I-don't-crap, questions.

2. welcome to the fold my friend.

Be sure to report back. A few family members and friends have thought about getting into bass(after seeing and hearing my Warwick). I will probably buy them SX basses to learn from.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Welcome,
    I played guitar for over 25 years before I picked up the bass, and I've been obsessed ever since.
    I still won't sell my guitars though and I still pick them up now and again.
    I would suggest you take some lesson and at least get your technique down.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    You've arrived. Now sit back and enjoy the view! :)

5. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    Deja Vu! That sounds like my M.O.

I'm a lead guitarist @ church and there's a slim chance I'll get to play my bass because I'm the only one who can read charts. :meh: I've played bass off and on over the past 42 years and am getting back into it.

With bass, you can lay down THE GROOVE that is different than gu*tar. Not to mention that there is more demmand for bassists and that means more gigs. Knowing chords will benefit you on bass. Now, if you're like me, the next question is; Which amp?

Welcome to the low side.

Gator

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's the one thing that frustrates me when I switch instruments to jam. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but I'm not propelling the song anymore. What I love about bass is that it feels like a torpedo, underneath everything but piercing through it.

7. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks for the replies, all. For an amp, I will use my CarvinAG100 acoustic guitar amp. It has about 100solid state watts going into a 12incher; I know it won't blow anyone away, but it will probably do for some local open mics and off and on at school(I am a high school teacher).

I still can't wait to get it.

My first riff will be the "How Many More Times" riff by John Paul Jones. I am 52, but feel like a 12 year old I am so jazzzzeeedddd!

8. buy a bass amp, it will sond way better and have more "bass" to it. look at a yorkville or peavey

lowsound

9. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    AXL ROSE MODE..............
    you know where you are ? you are in the jungle baby...you're gonna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

hopefully you will enjoy being a bass player as much as we do... :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

10. Definetly invest in atleast a true bass amp. It doesn't have to be anything special but it should be a bass amp. Trust me I've been through a similar situation. When I got my first true bass amp it made a huge change in my sound and motivated me to play more and better.

11. Nice analogy...

12. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I made the same jump to bass not that long ago. The people here on this forum are awesome. They helped me out big time with all my questions (along with the search button and the FAQ's!). Welcome!

13. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks for all the high fives. Many of you have recommended a "true bass" amp. If I use another amp as a preamp, and then do an out into a power amp, does that do any ohm change?

I ask because if I get a small combo bass amp, I want to do a line out into a pa power amp and fill an auditorium, a school auditorium--I'm no rock star.

Thanks again, all, for the encouragement.

14. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome, I recently crossed over to bass after playing Guitar for 15+ years. You made a good choice brother.

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Many combo amps will have a balanced line output you can use to get your signal to the house board. I'm highly impressed with the Ashdown Mag 300 combo I've been breaking in. Excellent sound and value ($500 new). Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends... :bassist:

Ken