Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well my pretty new Spector arrived today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 11, 2005.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Incredibly quick shipping on this one. Won it on sunday and I've got it on wednesday. Now that's service :D This bass sounds amazing. Pickups are a little hot if i'm not touching anything on the bass but with a finger on any string the bass is dead quiet. Has that great growly sound from the bubinga. I'm still pretty sure the neck is ovangkol. It definitely doesn't have the wenge grain or color.

The sound needed a little tweaking. It almost sounded like I had a distortion pedal on at first. I think it was due to the preamp on the bass. I turned down the bass knob on the bass and turned up the Sansamp and everything sounded pretty good. Feels good to have a nice 4 string to compliment the Thumb 5 i've got now

Does it make me a bad person that I have a Warwick and a Spector? :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All I'm waitin' on now is the new set of DR's to come in.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i love this Spector,s basses

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, because your Spector looks just like a Warwick :p

My fretless has the same issue when running through my Sansamp RBI pre-it sounds like there's a light distortion on when everything is flat on the bass and amp. My solution was to turn down the blend on the Sansamp to about 9 o'clock, and the distortion went away. It's weird, because that bass just has normal Bart pickups and a Bart 3-band.

Very pretty top, BTW.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lol i dont think it could look any more like a warwick.

5. Thats the warwickest spector I've ever seen. It looks great.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Correction, Warwick looks like a Spector. That would be disrespectful to Stuart the other way around.

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    that damn tone pump. I saw that on the bay, good score. get a different pre and you'll love it even more. They are making a Tone Pump, JR now.

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    One of my favorite bass is the Spector ReBop
    [​IMG]

9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That's why I love it :D

I've always loved the spector shape, but in most cases I wasn't fond of the colors or paint job on them.

Til this one came along. It was just perfect for me. I love me some bubinga. :bassist:

10. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Any recommendations?

I was thinking of putting one of the Aguilar preamps in the Warwick recently as well. Think it'd work well in the Spector?

11. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    Congrats on the new bass! :) Thats a nice choice of top etc. Looks great :bassist:.

12. +1

Thank you, since Warwick had to BUY the rights to produce their COPY of this beautiful Spector bodyshape. :bag:

13. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I use the EMG BQC in all my spectors.

14. According to a note from PJ Rubal (from Spector) on the Spector forum, the eBay description for this was accurate.

Also, I think the quotes saying that this is the most Warwick looking Spector ever were more to do with the general appearance and finish rather than the shape (which indisputably belongs to Stuart). I never thought I'd here me say this but, yes this Spector looks like a Warwick !!!
    :bag:

Nice buy, good price too.

15. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    OK cool. Would you recommend putting EMG pickups in there as well or should I leave the DiMarzios in?

Yeah that's what I heard in the other thread about it that the description was accurate, but looking at the wenge neck on my thumb, and every other wenge wood I've seen, this looks nothing like any of them. It does have a very similar apperence to a lot of the ovangkol I've seen. Either way the bass sounds great to me :)

16. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    My NS-2j has the J set and the BQC and it sings.

17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Whicked bass, does have almost a warwick vibe. But what kind of pups are in there?

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I would reccommend that set up as well...

...also, if you ever tire of that bass, I claim first dibs!

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't you mean it would be disrespectful to Ned Steinberger?

It looks like a Warwick because of the wood choices used moreso than the body shape

20. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Would that be This and These?

How much do you think it would cost for the pair of those.

Also... I don't know a thing about installing or changing pick-ups/pre-amps. Would it be a better bet to take this to a shop to have it done (I live right by Low Down Sound here in Detroit), and how much do you think it would cost to get them installed there?

Thanks for all your help :)

On a side note, I was looking through my old paypal history and noticed I bought a Spector Legend from you a while back :)

edit:

Checking out Bass Place These and This?