Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

well.....plz answer allz............

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    you all have talked me into getting lessons. well i chose to actually. lolz. anyway i read all of your comments and it seems that right now i'm good (i really am) but i guess if i don't get lessons i will never improve. i am better than someone who is has been playing for 4 years (2 more than me). i'm better at actually playing, but he has the technique. once i get that i will be unstoppable.
    buuuuuttttttt:
    how long do you think it will take me to start taking full advantage of the lessons? in other words how long do you think it will be until i can use the lessons to make me be able to make up riffs and kick more ass? 1 month, 1 week?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    To become unstoppable?

Years at least, but probably closer to a lifetime.

Download "A Portrait of Tracy" by Jaco Pastorious to see what I mean.

He was a man talented beyond belief who worked at bass playing for most of his life.

Unless you are as talented as Jaco it will take you years to become unstoppable.

Peace
    Nick

PS: Also try DLing "Donna Lee", "Continuum", and "Chromatic Fantasy" by Jaco Pastorious.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just a note on the whole "I'm better than most everyone I know" thing that's been showing up in these threads; remember that people tend to hang out with their own. Being the best in a group of 15-18yr old in your town may be the same as the worst in the group of older jazz players in the same town...and you wouldn't know who they are because they aren't in your group.

And about the lessons-most teachers only do 1 or 2 lessons a week per student, so it may take months and months and years and years before you get where you want to go, depending on your goals. Also remember that you have nothing to gain in being overly self-assured, and everything to gain if you think that you are never the best you can be and are truly open to learning.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

A young Chinese man is very eager to learn the martial arts. He seeks out the best teacher in all the land, and travels very far to meet with him. When he does meet the sage, the man asks him, "Master, how long will it take me to become the greatest martial artist?"

"5 years," replies the teacher.

"5 years? That's far too long," replies the man. "What if I were to practice twice as hard as all the others?"

"Then, 10 years."

"10 years??? I will practice more diligently than any other, longer and harder. How long then master?"

"Then, 20 years."

"Master, why is it that whenever I say I will practice even harder, you say it will take twice as long?"

"Because my son, when you have one eye on your goal, you only have one eye on your training."

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If you have a good teacher, you should be able to use what you're being taught right away, if you work at it hard enough.

BTW, not trying to sound like a ****, but learning how to kick ass is not learning to play music. If you want a good teacher to teach you, check the ego at the door.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    It depends on how long it takes you to grasp the concepts taught to you. Most people will learn something the first lesson.. maybe something small.. but small can be usefull

And while it is good to think of yourself as good, its not good saying you are really good and better than people who have been playing for 4 years.... thats all subjective. and while you may be a decent player, I just don't think you should go around bragging about being great.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    On a similar note:

Bieng able to play 5,000,000,000 notes per second doesnt make you better than any one else.

Its about the music, not the flash.

Peace
    Nick

8. he posted a thread about not being able to play anything but the root along with a guitar. he's nowhere near as good as the worst jazzer.

sorry if that sounded harsh, but you've GOT to lose the ego or you won't learn anything.

lolz.

9. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    preach.

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    wax on:
    wax off:

:D

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    that makes no sense. You are lost...id give up now if i were you on trying to convince us. Just get a teacher already.

edit: Language - Don't make me tell you again. - Mod

12. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Good point, reminds me of many a low budget martial arts film :)

I totally aggree with his statement, and you should 'slow down' and quit while your...well not ahed, your ruts already forming from your replies ;). Oh yeah, please refrain form whacking a 'z' on the end of plural's:mad:

EDIT: sorry, never relized how many times you were quoted ;)

13. Reading tab doesn't make you better than anyone else.

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Way to kill a serious thread...BUT I LIKE IT! :D

Patience is a vertue, thats all i can really contribute here

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    So does this cat ever reply to his own threads?

16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This guy is no "cat" pfft :rolleyes: . He is a "rocking bass player". :rolleyes:

Im done :)

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I second that.

however hadn't Jaco only been playing for like 4 or 5 years when he released his self titled album?
    if thats so then he probably wrote Portrait of Tracy after 3 or 4 years of playing...so thats barely anything in his whole bass career.

chromatic fantasy will blow your socks of Old-SoB-licks
    Can you read music? if so then check out
    this webpage
    http://site.voila.fr/Studio_Prinzy

it taught me "Teen town" and "chromatic fantasy"(which I'm still learning)

I've learned more from Jaco than any other bassist out there.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :D I don't know...at that speed one would be a fool to disagree :) *thinks of smacking somone with thumb at 5,000,000,000 smacks a second* heh.

but definatly...speed isn't everything, we all know that, speed is a tool used for garnish and songs at higher tempos.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jaco started playing bass in 1967, and his first solo disc came out in 1976, so it was a bit longer than that.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I remember Jaco saying, in Modern Electric Bass, that it took him about 8 years, if memory serves to get Donna Lee down. Also remember the amount of serious hours this guy was putting in. As a teen I know 8 hours a day was quite normal.