Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, poo. It doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by momo, Jan 9, 2006.

1. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I recently picked up a MIM jazz body to mount my Geddy Lee neck, bridge, and PU's onto. Guess what? It doesn't fit. The Neck Pocket is off by a few milimeters, and I don't think the PU routs are deep enough. The PU's might not be an issue, but what is the best way to widen the neck pocket on the body? What kind of tools will I need?

Also, for those wondering, I am doing this because EVERYONE owns a GL jazz, and every one is black. I just wanted something a bit different, so I got a white body and a tort guard. The combo is awsome looking, I just need to figure out how to get it to work.

Thanks.

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I measured and I am off by about 1/8th of an inch. Should I just file off 1/16th from either side of the pocket?

3. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    A little filing and a bit of sanding and it appears to now fit. This is going to look awsome when it is done.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I did this to a project of mine but the 1st body I used was too short. It wouldn't allow the bridge to be mounted on a comfortable spot on the body. It hung over a little too much. I think it was meant for a specific neck. The next body (p/j) I had to widen the pocket a smidgeon. SX (geddy lee style lefty ) necks seem to be 2 9/16" wide instead of the usual 2 1/2".
    I experimented w/ different pups and control configurations and gave it a weird paint job.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tdfunte/detail?.dir=6d5b&.dnm=845f.jpg&.src=ph

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Don't forget to post pics when its done.

6. This thing better have a black pickguard. If it dont your in alot of trouble:mad: .

lol j/k. No matter what its got its goin to be sick. Now get to work I wana see them picks right away.