Well respected bands you just don't get

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I chose "well respected" as opposed to "popular" because that would be too easy. My two examples:

- Rolling Stones
    - Neil Young

I don't get the appeal of either. Have I just no heard the right material. The rolling stones have always sounded like sloppy garbage that doesn't go anywhere. And Neil Young's music just isn't... I don't know, I just don't get his huge appeal.
  2. Sonic Youth - Sure I love weird experimental music but.............................................

The Smiths/Morrissey - Oh lord , if I could describe my hate for them..........

At the Drive In - Don't get it I guess.

The whole Indie rock/ Neo-New wave movement that's happening now in modern rock.

RHCP -go ahead and stone me.Whatever they did, FNM did 80 times better.

Tool - Aside from Carey I really don't think this band is very appealing.
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The Beatles and Lennon's solo stuff. I dig some tunes but not enough to buy any albums.
  4. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I would have to say that in order to get bands like The Beatles, Stones, and Neil Young, you would have to understand the time period that they came out in. The Beatles started it all (and influenced rock like no others since). The Stones were the bad-boys of the British Invasion and in my opinion, their garage-style rock and roll was the opposite of the pretty-boy pop stuff that The Beatles first came out with. Neil Young was considered by many to be a guitar hero, even though his playing style comes across as very simplistic. I bet if you were to ask a baby-boomer about these bands, they could talk for days.

Same for emo, White Stripes, Nirvana, etc. I believe that music and bands serve as representatives for a generation of youth. Take a look back at music from the 40's and 50's. It is very different than what we listen to today, but in it's time, it was the most popular music of the day.

Now....the Blackeyed Peas....them I don't get (or Gorillaz either, for that matter). :)
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    All rap and hip hop
  6. Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    I agree with all rap and hip hop
    Elvis Presley
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's just ..life!

Hey - why is it so hard for people round here to understand that people have individual tastes/likes/dislikes...? :confused:

If we all liked exactly the same thing then we would have none of the diversity of music (and other arts) that we do - this is a Good Thing!!

It's also a good lesson - so you could spend all the hours there are, practicing and honing your talents - doesn't mean anybody has to like it!!

Life's out there - in all its diversity - get out there and discover more....:)
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003

every time I hear people raving about them and the musicianship I try them out again, as I love odd meters and virtuosity.. and every time I come away thinking "I should like that, but I don't..."
  10. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Incubus, just cant get used to them
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The thread says "bands", and people still say "rap and hip hop". Go fig. :rollno:
    Anyway, for me it's Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bruce Springsteen.
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pink Floyd
    Grateful Dead
    Bruce Springsteen
    Metallica (post MOP-era)
  13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Yep seems I forgot all these as well
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm definitely with you on the Springsteen...I remember watching St. Elmo's Fire(I know, I know) & spewed my Coke when Judd Nelson told Allie Sheedy, "No Springsteen leaves this house"!!!

Also, I was not a Skynyrd fan, never bought any of their stuff, was never into 3 guitars ala Black Oak Arkansas, etc...when I do hear some of their tunes on the Classic Rock station(while at the gym!), I will say the guys could play & 'jam'.
  15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    The Doors... maybe I'm just too young, or just too sober, but I don't get it. Bad poetry and organ... yay :rolleyes:
  16. Hey Matt I agree with you on the Rolling Stones. I mean I don't hate their music but what I don't understand is how they are the top selling concert every time they go on tour, to me they are a bar band that are playing 60000 seat arenas and I will never that type of band in a large venue.

As for who I don't get. Bella Fleck and the Fleck Tones. I acknowledge they are extreamly great musicians, better than I ever hope to be, but my ears don't get it. If others like it that's great. We need all kinds of music to make all people happy.
  17. I'm with you on this one. I'm plenty old, but never got the Doors. I have to admit I'm pretty sick of the Beatles, too.
  18. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Not that I listen to a lot of it anymore, and in raps/hip hops defense. one of my favorite groups still is Digital Underground! IMO...they used the coolest samples of the funkiest recordings, and the lyrical content was so smooth. Another was the whole NWA thing...Dre, Eazy E, DJ Quick, Ice Cube...I craved anything from the Westside, at the time. Just in your face take no prisoners tell it how it is stuff.

There I would have to agree that it is a generational thing. At the time I was huge into ether hip hop/rap or anything Satriani, Vai, Johnson, Hamm and Queensryche. What a mix eh?
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    iirc nwa was eazy e, dr. dre, ice cube, mc ren, and dj yella.