Well That Chapter Is Closed

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    BL sent me a text last week saying that the band is gonna be disbanding. Our constant carousel of guitar players was just too much stress to keep going on. BL got a gig doing lights full time for another band. Singer and keyboard player are going to continue doing duo/acoustic gigs. It went facebook "official" today. This was the first "real" cover band I've been in. Hundreds of gigs up and down the east coast since 2015, so definitely a lot of mixed feelings.

On the bright side, I already have 2 auditions lined up.

A decent bass player is never out of work long.

Luckily for me, I am halfway decent. :D

sludgetail, JRA, eriky4003 and 46 others like this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Indeed.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with the auditions! Give us a full report.

4. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    For sure.
    I have myself 3 bands, all different, and I always keep looking for the one that will come.

Playing with a lot of different people is beautiful and lets you enrich your skills. Best wishes for the opportunity you're given, get the best out of it ;)

5. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    You can't keep a halfway decent bass player out of a band!
    Good luck!

6. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    My band called it quits this week. Lucky I'm starting with a harder rock band in the next couple weeks. I've been wanting to do harder stuff for years now, something I wasn't allowed in my former band. I'm also gonna be doing most of the singing in the new band. My main focus is working on my vocals before we get rolling. I'm pretty excited to get to play Sabbath, Maiden, Savatage, and many other hard material.
    I wish you the best of luck with your new adventures.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

DirtDog, ezra1, Bob Clayton and 8 others like this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't fancy a 'menage a trois', Bob? It can be liberating without a drummer and guitarist.

8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Sorry to hear it, but sounds like you've got plenty of momentum to propel you toward your next opportunity.
    I guess that's how it's done these days...avoids the "anguish" of actual having to speak with people.

9. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Ain't no way to keep a band together. Bands come and go. You got to keep on playin', no matter with who. and watch your money, so you land on your feet.

-Del Paxton

JRA, Bob Clayton, 2tonic and 5 others like this.
  10. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    Money is important for sure, but I personally tend to watch more what can a context/band/musician can teach me. Money come and go, experiences and skills remain and can be used in another context - or noted by "important" people and better players who can call you in their band/projects. My .02 cent :)

Bob Clayton and Sid s like this.
  11. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    So it goes, but good luck to you. I'm sure you'll find a good fit somewhere. It's grinding to keep rotating members and retraining, re-arranging.

Bob Clayton likes this.
  12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Winner of today's "A" for "Attitude" prize. Rock on, man.

13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Welcome to the world of endless opportunities.

Bob Clayton and SactoBass like this.
  14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Rock on.

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Guessing the BL is a drummer? If you liked the group and the guys, why not find a guitarist and drummer and take over BL duties? :bag: :D

kentiki likes this.
  16. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Where’s the Triple Like button?!!

Bob Clayton likes this.
  17. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    One door closes, another door opens. As someone already mentioned: endless opportunities.

Bob Clayton likes this.
  18. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Agreed.......but who played cornet for Jacques St. Claire on "Vital Stats"?

Lamarr. :D

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    We're open to the idea if the opportunity presents itself.

Your take on that is interesting (not saying it's wrong). I personally don't like talking on the phone and 95% of my communication is through text. I didn't think anything of it when we were texting.

Kinda complicated. Drummer and singer are married, so they're both kinda BL. Drummer handles things with the agency/venues/etc. Singer handles things with us. Arranging practices, load-in times, etc. It's an agency band and both of them are the ones that signed the contract with the agency. Plus the PA and lighting equipment is all theirs. It's not really feasible for me to take over.

Beej likes this.
  20. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Scotty MacDonald

2tonic likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021