1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well That Stinks (Conflicting Gigs)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 7, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Just had to say no to a sub job that was on the same night as a gig I already committed to with another band. The bummer is the sub job would have paid at least double what I'm gonna make on the scheduled gig.

Not that I even thought twice about bailing on the first gig (I roll first come serve always and I never bail on a gig I've committed to)... and I know it happens to everyone if you've jobbed around along enough... but it still kinda stinks.

It's nice to be in demand though.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Been there before. Always sucks when it happens (which usually is right when I could use the extra cash the most :meh:).

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah the BL for the sub gig has only called me once in about the last 3 years whereas the gig I already committed to is a standing deal, two nights a month through the rest of this year. Even if my ethics werent what they were the economics would still say you don't risk losing the steady gig for a one-off.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. It sucks. I do pretty much only fill-ins these days. I have a pretty high minimum (for this area anyway). But as soon as I do someone a favor and take a gig for $150, someone will call with a great opportunity to play with a bigger name for more cash. And I also keep my promises and show up and the gig I originally booked. Oh well. That's the roll of the dice. But like you said, it's nice that the phone is still ringing. Many aren't so lucky.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yep, I get that too from time to time. That's the price (literally!) to pay for being busy and in demand.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Any chance you could sub out the regular gig to someone else you trust? Or, recommend someone for the higher paying gig so they owe you a favor and a gig in the future?

Might as well make it work for you in some way.

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    See what you do is tell them you have to go to the bathroom...then you crawl out the window and drive over to the other gig. Do a few tunes, go to the bathroom there, back to the original gig. Rinse and repeat.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    LOL! That might be a problem in this case considering the two gigs are about an hour's drive apart.

The sub gig is a graduation party on a Saturday so I was hoping maybe that would be an afternoon one, which I maybe could have made work. But no such luck.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Kudos to you it lets the BL know maybe he should call you more than once every three years sometimes saying no turns into more opportunities later on.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    BL who asked me to sub is the brother of the lead guitarist in my main band. So my LG might be the guy who winds up playing bass for him on that gig I can't do.

Ah the web of intrigue on the small-market cover scene.