Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well that was... fun. :P

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. We've had many workshops at my college, but this one was particularily interesting. Music students such as me formed small ensembles to play tunes for the person hosting the workshop to get comments and criticism. One of your more "hands-on" workshops, I guess you could call it.

So I played Peri's Scope (I'm play piano) with a bassist (great fretless bass player, btw) and drummer. Everything went well in the song. I did my best Bill Evans imitation when I played the head and solos. So guess who hosted the workshop? (I've been saving this part for later for emphasis) None other than Fred Hersch. Oh great, and he was literally sitting right next to my watching me play. Not fun at all. :)

He had a few comments, but what it really round down to is that I need to get into the music more. I mean, I was expressing myself well, and I made my solo interesting and all, but I was staying within the boundaries too much.

I do have places in songs where I'll play some out-there stuff, but I tend to play more melodic solos rather than weirder things.

So anyways, it's kind of discouraging because there's so much pressure for jazz pianists such as myself to play weirdness.

You know what, I think I will go with the flow and play wacky stuff. I think it'll be fun, we'll see.

2. pentexlovesme

pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    Seattle
    Hey, I love my piano playing as weird and out there as it can get...but you know, there will always be people willing to pay to hear something beautiful and melodic. Play what you want, how you want it...just keep doing your thing. Don't "play wacky" for the sack of being wacky. Do if the song or moment calls for it, otherwise it'll just sound...off.