1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well this is ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Dec 6, 2011.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
  2. Seriously? 75 years isn't even what some people serve for murder.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Wow.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Some people serve less for murder. I'm sure he won't serve 75 years, but the fact that this is even a possibility is crazy. As long as they aren't interfering with the officers line of duty, then I see no problem with filming an officer.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I like this one quote of his, "The statute, the way it is written, can be interpreted many different ways."

That seems to be the way a lot of laws are being written these days. As far as I'm concerned, if you're a public servant then you should be able to be recorded while you're on the public's dime.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Clearly, this is an attempt to reduce the amount of footage in circulation showing some officers performing less than their duties as Law Enforcement Agents. Too much backlash from the public capturing video of officers abusing their powers/privileges.

7. In the UK as far as I'm aware you're free to film in public as long as doing so doesn't cause distress, harm or interference, and this includes the emergency services.

Whether he serves the actual term or not, I'm going to agree that even thinking about such a term is absurd.

8. It's the old rule again: the only people who need worry are the ones doing something wrong.

And surely accountability should count for something here? You give someone some special rights and they should be more than welcoming to demonstrate that they are using them appropriately.

9. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Man. I have so much to say. But, I would like to steer clear of getting banned.

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I'm not surprised. This reminds me of many other things currently going on that I'll decline to comment on due to TB rules.

Really, this guy's fate is in the hands of his lawyer. The "wiretapping laws" being vague could work in his favor.

11. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Wait.....I thought it was perfectly legal to video tape anyone, even a law enforcement officer or TSA agent, without their consent, if they are in public view or on public property.

Oh.....this is in Illinois. Nevermind.

12. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    For the record, my comment was not made as a generalization of all LEOs, but rather those few who do let their power go to their head. And get filmed in the act.

13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Some lawmaker:
    "Sigh...Just think of what things would be like if the Rodney King video wound up incriminating the video-taper rather than the cops who beat him..."

Some other lawmaker:
    "Wait a minute! I got a great idea!"

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Exactly. Welcome to the new police state.

15. One of the comments said it has been overturned as being unconstitutional.

Either way, f'd up that it had to go that far.

16. Watch some of the videos on youtube that skateboarders take of cops harassing and beating them up for SKATEBOARDING. SKATEBOARDING!!! And they're kids- jr high and high school.

ALL cops should be miked and have dash cams. Citizens should have the right to tape them. The reason they don't want to me taped is because they break laws and when they get caught doing that the city gets sued for millions of dollars and it makes them look bad. Jeez, sorry I'm holding you to a standard of the law!

As a paramedic I've been taped hundreds of time in public at accidents, fires, etc. I've never told anyone to turn off a camera because there's no reason to. I am held to a professional standard just like the police and I behave. If cops just followed the law there wouldn't be an issue. Problem is they want to act irresponsibly and get away with it.

I always wear a helmet cam when I ride my enduro so I can tape myself riding. I should check the Ohio law to see if I can get in trouble if I get pulled over.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Judge Rejects Eavesdropping Charges for Recording Police - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

18. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I guess there would have been no Rodney King case if this law was in effect 20 years ago. I think it's a great form of accountability and a source of embarrassment to departments who have officers having sex on their patrol cars and beating people senseless.

19. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    So child molesters (at least around my area) only get several months to a year but this case got 75 years?

20. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I hear that!