Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, this sucks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otomak, May 10, 2005.

1. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hello all, I hope this is the right place to post. :meh:

I recently won a B115 (listing #7318848566) off ebay from Dave at Avatar Speakers, and the thing arrived today. Well, to make the story short, I was bidding on this particular B115 because it was listed at 4 Ohms, but the one I received today was 8 Ohms. :crying: I've double checked the listing to make sure that it was indeed configured for 4 Ohms (and it is, although I've seen on his other listings that the winning bidder has a choice between the 8 or 4).

I was wondering how well Dave treats these kind of mishaps. I've read in previous threads that he seems to take care of his customers pretty well.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dave was super for me to deal with. Let him know. He'll make it right.

No stress, seen?

3. Sure you want a 4? The 8 allows you to add another speaker and still be a 4 ohm load, great for bridged power amps (if they'll deal with 4 ohm loads).

Randy

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Are you sure? You may find out that you need to add another cabinet down the road. Unless you are mostly backing up folk singers. Or your drummer only plays with brushes. Or your guitarist plays acoustic. Otherwise, that 8 ohm cab would pair up nicely with an 8 ohm 2X10. ;)

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Same thing happened to me with a raw speaker i bought from him. He exchanged it no ?s asked but I had to pay shipping.

6. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I knew someone would come in, tell me that 8 ain't so bad because then I'll have the option to buy another cab in 8 Ohms and have that wall of sound :) I've already thought about that when I first saw it, but my wallet is rather tight at the moment.

I bought the 4 ohm because I'll be only running through that one cab. From there, I'll have my choice of heads or power/pre combo (right now I'm using an Ashdown MAG300H).

I haven't received a response from Dave yet, but perhaps someone else could: If I choose to return this cab in for a 4 Ohm, will I be charged for the shipping, restock, etc.?

7. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. It gets kind of expensive when the thing weighs in at 50+ lbs. In my case, I hope Dave will take note that it was his error and not mine and that he'll eat the cost for s&h *crosses fingers*

The 8 ohms would allow me to add another B115... maybe :smug:

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Dave will prob ask that you just remove the speaker (like 8 screws and two wires that are jacked for easy removal) and send him just that and he will cross ship you a new one. My money is on that happening...

9. No need to ship the whole cabinet back. See if Dave will ship you a 4 ohm speaker and return the 8 ohm speaker back in the same box the 4 ohm comes in. Quad beat me to it!!!

10. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Swapping the speakers out does sound a lot more reasonable than replacing the whole thing (what was I thinking... :oops: ). Thanks for all the quick advices. I'll wait for what Dave has to say.

11. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    You might try to get him to pay for shipping since it was his mistake. I didn't really try. He seems eager to please.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Whatever the seller advertises is what he's obligated to deliver. So if it said 4 and you got 8, that's on the seller to make good cause you bid on 4. If it said 4 or 8 and you didn't specify, that's a shared obligation if you didn't specify and he didn't ask.

As previously addressed, there's a big difference between the two and both can be desireable for different reasons but the seller is accountable for whatever is specified in his ebay description. If something's not specified, it's up to the bidder to clarify whatever is not specified before he bids otherwise he accepts the item as described when he bids.

13. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    What kind of amp do you have running into it?

If it's powerful enough you may not even have to worry. I mean The difference between wattage for a 4 or 8 ohm load usually isn't that much of a difference. Sure a couple hundred watts may look like a lot, but sonicly you probably won't notice a big difference.

Plus like the others have mentioned you'll have the room to add another speaker to the rig. Put a nice 2X10 on top :)

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

actually from memory I think doubling the output only increases volume like 3 dB which is only significant enough for the ear to distinguish and that's about it. The BA115 is on the porky side so an extension cab is pushing limits and not like an extension with a GK MB150. I'm guessing if the 8 ohm wouldn't get you the power you need the 4 probably wouldn't either so you probably would either need or not need the extension either way and with the 4 you don't have the option. Ask the guy you bought it from, he can tell you. He may have done you a favor and you just don't know it yet.

Personally I found adding a second cab to be very useful. Really helps to fill the tone out and adds more apparent volume than a single with equal output - especially when you spread them out. Plus you can use different extension cabs to tweak the tone you want.

I've got a Poly 4 ohm 100 watt single 15 (about 40 lbs) and it's real mid heavy. A typical 15 won't cover the frequency spectrum well and will be loaded in one area and lacking in another. The Poly will run 2 ohm load but I use an 8 ohm GS 112 with it and it fills out the bottom and top well.

15. He will send you a 4 ohm speaker if that is what you want, however..I originally got the 4 ohm B115H model from Dave on Ebay but in 6 months time was regretting it. I wished I had bought the 8 ohm model so I could pair up with another 8 ohm cab. What I did was buy an empty cab to put a JBL E140 15" speaker in. The 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab made 2.67 ohm load on my SWR 350 X head which it could handle but the headroom suffered greatly so I ended up buying an 8 ohm Kappa Pro LF from him....Now I am very happy...by the way...the 4 ohm Kappa Pro LF only has a 95 oz. Magnet and not a long a throw as the 8 ohm model with 120 oz. Magnet.
    Do what you wish, but I think you got the best version for the long haul.

16. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    +1.. keep it.. save your pennies and add an 8ohm 210 later ..

put the money it would cost to ship the speaker back into a jar as a starting point.. You will be much happier with a 115 and 210 combo, trust me!

17. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've got a 4 ohm Avatar 15" that I will trade the driver if you want. Just an option... :eyebrow:

18. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, Dave is a really great guy, he offered to ship a 4 ohm speaker and have fedex pick up the 8 ohm up for free. But then he offered to sell another 8 ohm B115 for the same price I paid for the one I got off ebay. So I chose the latter :D

Thumbs up to Dave at Avatar!

19. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the dude is a true champion! :bassist: