Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well.........What about this; is it possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MGill, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Hey,
    I'm currantly in the market for a new bass, I'm hiring one at the moment for the local music service, and well... I realy want one of my own. I'd like to buy a bass and be done with it; keep it for the rest of my years. I only have a maximum of $6000-$6500! I am aware however that this is a feeble amout of money. I'm after a 4/4 sized, 4 string bass only used for Classical, I would prefure an older bass, but in my price rance its hard, all solid wood is well... a must!

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's a pretty good price range... but, for under $7,000, you could get more bass for your buck if you considered something built within the last ten years... sometimes old basses can be over-priced, imo.... try out several different basses, young and old...

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you have the luxury of time, keep your eye open for basses listed at estate sales, flea markets, etc. Every other now and then a good bass comes though, although usually needing some work.

4. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Well.......I'm up for anythink realy, I love the idea of flea markets (however im not shure how many there are in London) and yes ill be willing to go for a newer instrament, What im realy after though is some Makes & Modles thats would come in that pricerange, What do you think? Would it be good to get a train to Germany + find one there? Mabey get a Bass Maker to build me one?

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Just keep an eye open for one. When you do trip across one that you like, get some experienced eyes on it to make sure that you're not buying a basket case. Being in a hurry is your worst enemy.

6. I got my bass... brand new (although you want older) for ^ $6100. That included bow in case. Its a Nicolas. And I love it. It is totaly awsome and have used it for the past 3 years.

7. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Good luck finding a 4/4 bass. I've never seen one before. The biggest I've seen is a 7/8 size and my hands can't handle playing something that big. I'm not even sure why you would want to play one unless you have marfan syndrome or something like that.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If we're talking about London - then the kind of instrument you're talking about is going to be well over £5,000 - although of course , it's possible to find bargains in junk shops, private sale via classifieds.

A new bass by a good maker like Paul Bryant, to the spec you describe would be just about £5,000 ...old ones I've seen at about £10k....:meh:

There have been lots of threads about how difficult it is to buy DBs in England - but I wouldn't expect it to be any better in Germany - Vienna...maybe and Eastern European countries have a lower standard of living so everything is cheaper to us compared to the strong £.

But how would you get it back - you would be liable for customs duty and maybe VAT as well....?

9. Bruce Lindfield

I think your best bet would be a bass made to your specifications by somebody like Paul Bryant - go here:

http://www.bryantbasses.co.uk/

His website says they start at £4500 .

I've heard many recommendations and have played a very nice 5-string! :)

10. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
  11. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Turner Violins have numerous branches & are normally pretty well-stocked. I know you are looking for a larger bass - but they do have a lovely late 19th century Jacquet chamber bass. It's in the Leeds branch on commission sale (guess who for ;) !!) & well worth checking out!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that's was what I was basing my first thought on - which was "well over £5,000.... "