Well what about ...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by josh_kaprun, Sep 2, 2001.

1. There seems to be quite a few people liking Jaco. And I'll agree. Jaco is an awesome bassist. However, there is a bassist that is better than Jaco. He may not have some of Jaco's qualities, but he has many that are all his own, and totally unique to him (probably because no one else can do them). And his name is, Bill "The Buddah" Dickens. Hands down, the most awesome bassist of all time. I've never heard anyone with such technical mastery over the bass. I'm not downing Jaco or anything, I'm just saying that Bill Dickens is better. Anyone who has ever heard one of his solos knows that. If any of you don't believe me, check out one of his videos. You can get 'em at Mars Music. He only has 2 videos, but each video includes him doing a bass solo. Check one of 'em out, he'll floor you.
  2. There was some discussion about "the Buddah" which you'll find if you search the forums. He's good, but not as good as Flea. Just messing with you. But seriously, who's better than who is a matter of opinion, and I don't share yours.
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    My sentiments exactly. It's all about opinions when it comes to comparing bassists. Personally, I prefer Jaco, but that's me.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's not a competition.

But I have heard some of Mark King's recent stuff, and he does the 64th note slapping as well as Bill, although it's on a 4 stringer instead of a 9 stringer.
  5. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I downloaded a song of his called "Bass Solo" lets put it this way: That guy plays to much in so little time its not funny. I was actually getting kinda mad at him, altough I think it was the fact that a lot of crazy stuff (not good) happened today.

Hes mighty skilled. But I still prefer Jaco.
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I always thought a big ppart of Jaco's appeal is his ability to play tastefully and melodically ALL the time, no matter what he's playing. Not to mention his great tone.

Dickens, to me, is almost always the opposite. He plays distastefully fast a lot of the time (worse than Stanley!), and usually they're just ghost notes. I really DON'T like hearing a barrage of muted 64th notes in the middle of a song, when a nice slow solo would sound much better! He's an outstanding soloist, when he does it (and doesn't slap muted 64th notes!). Worse yet, his tone is FAR too snappy and trebly/high middy, likely due to all that purpleheart. It's pretty bad in everything I've heard of his, IMO.
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree with Angus...

Although, I don't think Jaco's the best bassist though... Some of my personal favorite bassists are in my profile...

Chris #2, Matt Freeman, Jason Black, and Josh Ansley.

Jason Black's probably my favorite. He knows where just playing the same thing the guitar is will fit well, and where jumping out will fit well, where to go slower then the guitar, and where to go faster.

I don't think you can really single one person out and say they're the best. Because, as Embellisher pointed out, it's subjective.

I think having a fairly diverse amount of influences is what anyone needs... I mean, the fast and the people who lose control are good to listen to, so you learn how to create parts totally seperate from the guitarist or whatever, and so you know what to do when it's time to go nuts... But the refined are great so you can be melodic.

Matt freeman's good for example, but he gets out of control sometimes.

Just my two cents...
  8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I once downloaded a song from Bill Dickens, I wanted to hear him play, and see what he is all about.
    Well...after 30 second (I'm not sure I last that long) I stopped the song, I couldn't take more of it.
    It was way too fast and way, way too high for nothing. No groove at all, only chops.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, Yvon, that's the way some of the Mark King stuff that I have downloaded is too.

I admire chops, but I listen to music, not wanking.
  10. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    Well, you need good rhythm with both.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D
  11. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    There's always that little paradox when it comes to "who's the best" type stuff. Too many chops, you'll get flamed for not making music or grooving, no chops at all, well, nobody's gonna give you a second look are they?

My favourite bassists, though, are the non-choppers, non-virtuosos. People like Jeff Ament, Adam Clayton, Colin Greenwood, Mike Inez, basslines that work with the song, not the ego.

Of course, that's not to say you can't have both.

Which is why, in my ever so humble opinion, the true best player ever is Marcus Miller. I saw him live a couple of months ago and if there is someone with better techincal mastery I'd be very surprised.

Geddy Lee comes in a VERY close second.

Just my 2 pence.

PS: How long d'ya think it'll be before an outbreak of "...But Bill Dickens only needed 7 strings?..."

12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Personally, I like the British Funk/ Acid Jazz bassist, like Stu Zender, Randy Hope-Taylor, Andrew Levy, etc. John Paul Jones, Graham, Louis Johnson, and Les are also a faves of mine. I like Bill Dickens, but I have a problem with him because I saw him do a Conklin Groove Tools clinic @ GC, and he spent about half the time talking about how much better than Jaco he is. That kind of bothered me. Pick on people who are alive and able to defend themselves. It doesn't take courage to pick on a dead man. JMHO.
  13. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    I agree, that is just not right. Even if he is better in some ways, he will not be better in every way. And there is no reason to be bragging like that. Without Jaco, would there have been Bill? Better to give credit where it's due rather than put down others.

14. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I would have a problem with that as well - most of the really good bass players I have met, talked to or heard talking wouldn't say anything like this. I can't imagine Dave Holland,who would be one of my favourites, for example, saying that he's better than Flea !! :rolleyes:

I have said many times that I don't think any one person has to be the "best" and I think that there is no reason to somehow "limit" your field of appreciation in this way. I might say that an album is a favourite, but I would still want hundreds of favourite albums and the bass-playing "chops" are only a small part of the reason why.

OK it's fun to play tracks to other bassplayers or musicians and just say "wow!" or "how about that", but I wouldn't want to to say one person is the "best". For a start, you never know what somebody else is going to come up with, that may amaze you in future.

So, like pro Jazz players I've met would be happy to recieve praise and would point out great playing from others - but I just can't imagine them saying they were better than Jaco - who knows what Jaco might be playing now if he were still alive and on peak form - I mean what is the point? :confused: