Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, Which Fake Book ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by amebassplaya, Sep 6, 2000.

1. There was a thread about which Fake Book to use, but I cannot find it. So, which Fake Book for Jazz, Top 40, etc is the best.

I am trying to get my repertoire in shape.

Later.

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I don't know about Top 40 fake books, but for jazz standards what you want to get is called "The Real Book". Make sure you get the key of "C" version, not the "B Flat" (for Trumpet, Tenor Sax, etc.) of "E Flat" (Alto Sax) versions, unless your sight transposition skills are outstanding. The next question is where do you find it? I've had mine for 20 years, and when I bought it it was illegal, and probably still is, it's just that nobody enforces it. There was a music store in town that was able to order an E Flat version for me not too long ago, so I know that it's possible. Make sure it's "The Real Book"...not something called "The Real Fake Book", that ain't it. "The Real Book"'s charts are all hand-written, and among the standards you will find are:

Autumn Leaves
    Blue Bossa
    Confirmation
    Donna Lee
    Footprints
    Four
    Girl from Ipanema
    Giant Steps
    Satin Doll
    Wave
    Spain etc. etc. etc.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes the "New Real Book"(LEGAL); IMO, it's the S***. Book 1, IMO, is the "better" of the 3(there's also a Latin Real Book & a new Standards Real Book by Sher).
    Aebersold may have it; check http://www.jajazz.com

4. Thanks all, and especially Ed. I went to the old thread and was lead to the waters of enlightenment.

Later.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes. That tends to happen when people go to Miscellaneous...:D

Will C.:cool: