1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well worn instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, May 6, 2006.

1. Well worn instruments I find are a million times better than a shiny new one. Who's got a pic of a well worn bass? (or guitar)

My friends dad has a well worn fully original 60's jazz and I nearly pooped my pants when he let me play it. I wish I had a picture.

anyway post you well worn beauty!

2. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    I prefer them to look shiny and new!

3. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Have you seen (one of) Willie Nelson's acoustic?? It has an actual hole in the body which is virtually two times the size of the manufacturer's sound hole!!:bassist:

4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    "old" is usually good. if its not warped or something like that. but "worn" doesn't have any other boon than some small routings AFAIK.

5. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I don’t care if mine are worn or shinny.. I play them 6 days a week on gigs and they get the little chips and dings which ad character... Shinny is good if i wanted to hang them on the wall to look at them, but these are my tools and they get worked out, worn, dinged and maintained. Just got a real nice battle scar on my Sadowsky PJ5 this week,,, oh well is only wood, plastic , paint and metal.. no lives lost.... IMO

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Here's a shot of my "Mary Anne" hanging around. She's pretty well worn.
    ma.

One shot of her out working.
    the_bruisers064.

7. my jazz is quite worn if you can see closely. its only a 2005.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I dig that worn feel.
    My 1966-Percision has big MOJO.
    If two basses, are both constucted the same, I prefer worn.

9. IMG_2304.
    IMG_2305.

BTC, but she's my baby.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    my '76 :)

45f770a9.

vics010.

i really love the worn look :)

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I could show my Ibanez, but its how I got it, and its held up a lot better than a bunch of the ones already posted...cameras can't capture scratches that well.

I prefer em looking new, especially on a black bass (scratches drive me insane when they're that visible)

13. mmm.... keep them coming!

14. Perfect.

15. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I remember back in the day we would gauge how boring a session was based on the amount of finish chips under Fred Tackett's chair. Fred's the guitarist with Little Feat and MANY sessions. When on boring sessions he'd sit with his pick and chip away at the finish on his strat.

Myself my old '65 PBass never wore that much, lots of scatches and finish dull. My first good bass was a Guild Starfire and my thumbnail did a number on that bass.

16. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    thanks! i love it. hehe! :)

17. Late 76-77 is when I got my first bass(a pawn-shop J copy w/blocks), so anything from that era just speaks to me. After looking at your bass, I went looking for the thread where someone offered to photoshop a bass for you(never found it:help: ); I was going to see what a walnut-stained, ash-bodied, pearl-block(defretted), double cut Stambaugh w/Jazz pickups & 3-knobs would look like. Now I'm even wondering about a pickguard. Hmm... an ashtray w/a big ol' Stambaugh 'S' embossed into it?
    :ninja: