well worn thread: neck tapering with a router

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Feb 22, 2006.

1. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I have read about people using a straight edge to route the taper on a neck from nut to the end. I did a search on the luthier threads, and any pics of these jigs are already gone off these old threads Can anyone explain what I must do to utilize a straight edge to cut the taper with a router? Thanks.
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I wouldn't call it a jig, per se. I just used a leftover chunk of maple that was long enough and had one good straight edge. Then I used carpet tape (fairly heavy two sided cloth tape) to hold it to the neck blank at the right spot and ran it on a router table with a pattern bit (guide down, bearing on the bottom of the bit). Don't worry if your bit isn't long enough to cut the whole thing at once. All you need is to straighten enough of the neck to give the bearing something to ride on in the second pass.

I don't think I have any pics handy, but the principle is fairly straightforward. Maybe someone else has a bit more info.

3. I use a piece of straight MDF and line it up in the face where the fingerboard would be. I then use my router on the table to taper it. Of course, it was first rough cut using a jigsaw or bandsaw close to the line. Careful routing against the grain! I usually do climb cuts until I only have a hair to shave off.