Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Welp, I finally took my sick Mesa 400+ to the shop...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., Mar 17, 2006.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I've had this thing for a year now and have started and responded to a few different threads on the subject of sick 400+'s and I finally just bit the bullet and took it into a really reputable shop here in town, that will honor my Mesa factory warranty... I assume I'm probably going to have them retube the whole thing while it's in as well and they are going to check over the numerous problems I seem to be having with this thing.

I'm wondering, for a retube job and a few hours of shop time fixing my sick amp up what would the rest of you expect to pay for all that? It's not even that I think they would even rip me off in the slightest at this place, I'm just wondering how much ouch I'm going to be putting on my checkbook, also what kind of tubes are any of you other 400+ owners using in your amps. I play heavy rock/metal and am looking for good suggestion on tubes that fit that bill...

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The tubes in my 400+ are from Eurotubes and are JJ's. The whole thing ran me around 200 bucks. I wouldn't pay anyone to 'retube' it though. Its just plug and play...

3. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    yeah i've pretty much come to the conclusion already by searching this forum that I was going to go with jj's from eurotubes, I wasn't sure if it was just all together better to have them installed by the guy at the shop.

in terms off the sound of your amp would you say that it's pretty much impossible to get your sound to sound distorted? because that pretty much seems to be the consensus and that's all I have and it totally sucks...

4. So where in the area did you take it? I've got a WalkAbout (that's working perfectly) and I'd like to know where I can get it serviced if the need should arise.

FWIW... I take my basses to Brown's Guitar Factory, personal service, top notch work, and he seems to really care.

5. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I took it to savage audio in Burnsville, super nice guys, have a great reputation, here's their website...

http://www.savageamps.com/pages/home.html

I've seen and heard about Brown's for a while now but have never used them, Lately I've been going to Hoffman Guitars here in town when I need work done on my bass, Twin Town has always done good by me too, nice to see a fellow MN TB'er!

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I've never really tried to distort it. I like it for clean and tubey. If you talk with Bob at eurotubes about what you're going for, he may be able to provide specific tubes to the sound you want. I believe that you can use the Graphic EQ circuit to induce more distortion, but you'd have to do a search here for more info.

7. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Savage does fantastic work.

sincerely,
    another MN TB'er

ps. don't you post on musicscene as well? The guy with the lefty jazz bass?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    JJs and 400+s seem to go together; I have em loaded in mine. While its in the shop, have em install bias adjustments as well so you can get a better bias on the tubes.

9. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    that's exactly what I'm looking for, I want a really clean undistorted sound, I really do think I'm gonna go with the eurotubes, maybe this has been a big part of my problem all along...

10. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    awesome! yet another great review for savage, definitely made the right choice i'm thinking, hopefully my trouble will be long gone once i get my amp back. yeah i'm the guy on musicscene, and yes i'm cursed with being a lefty! i'm usually trying to sell one thing or another on there! Good to see another MN friend!

11. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    i will definitely give them a shout about the possibility of this.. what exactly does that entail and what does that mean exactly? thanks for the sugggestions....

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mesa Boogie has a fixed bias on the 400+ so that they can select the tubes which would go with it best. These are the "Mesa tubes" which really are just other tubes selected to go best with the selected bias and rebranded. Other tubes of the same type will work, but having an adjustable bias will make it so that you can get em to work at their max potential. I dunno the actual things involved in getting the bias adjustable, but I am going to get it done when my current tubes crap out. I am also going to get another mod done that you may want to consider as well. I want to get switches to turn on (or maybe out of standby or something) each pair of tubes. Not sure how fesable this is, but next time I go into a tech I am going to ask. This would make recording much easier because you wouldn't have to turn up so loud. Just an idea.

13. manmusic

manmusic

Mar 14, 2006
    South West - UK
    I've had my 400+ from new about 15 years ago. Strange that I've always feared a heavy bill to replace tubes but have never needed to so far! My q is tho, how will I know when they need changing?!! Will it just stop working? Sorry to sound non-techie but I just play and let this enormous lump of an amp take care of itself really!

14. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    thanks for the help, i'm definitely going to talk to them about getting the bias adjustment, also good luck on your mods....

15. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I'm not sure why the Mesa has a rep for not being able to get distorted tones from. Just crank the volume on channel 2 and back off the master to get the balance of distortion and loudness you like. That's what i do and I get a great gnarly rock tone from it.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah, I think the issue is more they can't get the power tubes to distort because it gets too loud.