1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Welsh music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm looking into Welsh as we speak ( I study linguïstics and I have always had a certain fondness for small languages such as Frisian and Gaelic) and I've found this site http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/Welsh.html which looks quite good as a crash course.

Now, something that scares me is the pronounciation of Welsh, also because it's very onfonetic (compared to Frisian for instance, or Dutch, or German) and I want to hear some Welsh, either in plain spoken form or in musical form, so I ask ye kindly, most talented TB'ers for your help and advice with this situation.

diolch i

2. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru/ - Click "Gwrando ar Radio Cymru" at the top for Welsh radio.

Gaelic's infinitely better than Welsh, by the way. I may be biased.

3. Here you go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru/radiocymru/

BBC Radio Cymru - the BBC's Welsh language offering. Click "Radio Ar Alw" in the box on the right hand side to listen, then choose a programme from the list.

4. I think you should amalgamate them...they're both dying ;)

5. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    How can a language with such great words as uabhasach and a' smaoineachachd die? :D

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Like you read my mind....:D

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Don't forget this one:
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

8. Sadly that one was made up with the intention of being the longest place name

9. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Only Welsh band I've heard is Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. Very odd. Good; but odd.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It does exist :

Llanfair%20PG%20Rail%20Station%201938.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The Welsh name means "The church of Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St. Tysilio of the red cave."

[​IMG]

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Vorago - check out Cornish :)

13. Them and Super Furry Animals :rollno:

Certainly some awesome english-speaking welsh bands though (Funeral For A Friend being a prime example), but that's not what you're looking for.

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Isn't that even smaller than Welsh?

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Damnit, this language has some crazy consonants!

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Welsh is supposed to be tough as nails. The numbers are supposed to be so hard kids tend to learn them relatively late.
    I even have a Welsh-English dictionary I used for a paper once. :)
    One cool thing in Welsh is that Ws are pronounced like Us. Thus, the Welsh word for bus is "bws".

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    True, it is a fabrication, but my friends really get a kick out of it when I show them postcards or photos or anything from my visit. Hearing anyone with a thick southern drawl try to sound it out is hilarious!

18. I always wondered about that. Welsh and Gaelic pronunciation confuses the hell out of me.

19. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    That is my home town.:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

20. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Sorry man that's just not right. counting in Welsh is no more complicated than in English.