wenge allergies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gaussmantra, Feb 3, 2006.

1. gaussmantra

Feb 3, 2006
    hi i'm allergic to saw dust and i read that wenge is potentially toxic in dust form (on a toxic wood list).
    is this a problem playing a neck bought from warmoth?
    will i experience such issues?
  2. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, if u uh, start sanding the neck, anyone will be effected negatively by wenge dust. however, playing it shuld have the same effect as any other neck.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A lot of woods are toxic, especially when it makes it into your lungs. How strong an allergy do you have? I'd think you might be safe if'n you're not allergic to topical contact rather than respirtory...

I'm all set until someone invents a peanut butter bass.
  4. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    No peanut butter? Poor guy.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

No nuts at all, and some 'hard seeds' are pretty bad too. I can deal with no peanuts, but no walnuts, cashews, etc...that's killer.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I would dye.

one of my best buds growing up couldn't have peanuts OR dairy. I'd have to off myself :(
  7. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    some people are allergic to dust. (wenge, makore, snakewood etc.)

and others have a sensitivity to oil and its fumes from the cutting or sanding of oily woods (cocobolo, camatillo) or touch in very very remote cases. wenge is not oily so you Probably wouldnt have to worry about that one.

I read the funniest thing somewhere on a wood toxicity list
    it said, and I quote..../

Satinwood/............. Toxicity includes: swelling of the scrotum:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :help:
  8. Well so much for that 100% satinwood bass I was going to build...

If only. It's kind of scary having these things out there to which I am unaware.:meh:
  9. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Too funny. I guess if you run into a guy with a swollen sack, you can ask him if he plays satinwood.
  10. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    my friend, cant eat gluten. NO WHEAT PRODUCTS.

yea, that sucks. permanent atkins diet.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I grew up with a kid who couldn't touch corn. No corn bread, nothign with corn syrup, which is a LOT, and frankly, no Jersey fresh corn.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "Jersey fresh"? Isn't that an oxymoron? ;)
  13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    ****! I was just finishing up that satinwood bike seat
  14. A LOT of woods are toxic, especially when in dust form, and possibly unfinished - although i'm not sure.

A least one builder that i know of doesnt use some woods because of employee's reactions.

and as a side note: Mike Tobias told me when he was my age (l6-17) A lot of guys were smoking pot out of these exotic wood pipes. When they would use them, they'd inhale the resin from the wood along with the pot. Talk about serious damage.
  15. SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    I've worried about the toxicity of rosewood before, but I've scalloped out some of the frets of my gu*tar and haven't had a problem from the sawdust or anything like that. Possibly because I was doing it outside though.
  16. Hemlock: nasal cancer/great/dust/rare

Nasal cancer...no wonder I've never heard of hemlock on a bass...
  17. I knew his designs were fishy...

I used to hang around with that crowd, glad I never hit a rosewood pipe.
    I'm surprised at how common rosewood is, given that it's one of the most dangerous woods on that site.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My old drummer didn't become allergic to shellfish until after he became an adult. :confused: As he child, he could eat all the shrimp, clams, etc. he desired. Then one day in his 20's, he almost died eating shrimp. Doctors told him that he was allergic to the iodine. They don't know why it didn't affect him as a kid, but it does now.
  19. yeah food allergies are never good. I used to have a gluten allergy, and lactose intolerance when I was a kid, thankfully I grew out of it.