Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge fingerbord on fretless?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ob1, May 17, 2002.

1. I'm in the planning stage of building my first bass, and I have access to both ebony and wenge. The thing is that I'd have to shell out loads of cash on a 4-foot 2"X4" ebony plank (they wouldn't sell any smaller bits) wich is enogh for like 20 fingerboards. I'm using wenge for the neck, and I wonder if it would do as a fingerboard too?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Streamer is a maple neck with Wenje fretless board. Couldn't be happier.
    Doc

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm having an FBB made w/ a wenge neck/fb, but it's fretted, so I don't know if that'll help much. Hope to see it soonish...

4. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    OB1,
    You can buy just a fingerboard for between 20 and 60 bucks. Ebony, wenge, cocobolo, whatever
    Try exoticwoods.com/fretboards.html/ chech your email for exact address.
    Also I'm sure Dave Pushic, or Fbb Dave Huff any of the fine luthier's here could hook you up witrh a custom board.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Wenge makes a fine fingerboard, or go to Luthier's Mercantile http://www.lmii.com/ and buy just the amount of ebony you need.

While you're at it, send me one of those 2x4x4' planks of ebony!

6. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Wenge will work great.

Darrin

7. OK, so what kind of finish would you recommend? I'm going to use tung oil for the body and neck, can I use it on the fingerboard as well? (BTW, I live in Finland, and there are only 2 shops who sell ebony (in THE WHOLE COUNTRY!!!) :-( . Importing doesn't seem to be an option, some problems with organic materials or whatever...

8. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Wenge is somewhat ring porous with alternating layers of hard and soft grain. You need to coat a fretless fingerboard with something hard.

I've used epoxy with success. Problems you may encounter are gas bubbles and potential curing problems. Not all epoxies are compatible with all exotic woods. Test on scrap first.