1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wenge fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by EB3Al, May 24, 2018.

1. EB3Al

EB3Al

Dec 9, 2011
    Any one had any experience using wenge as a fret board?

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Yes it's very nice. I used wenge for my fretted 6 string bolt on. I sands and scrapes really well but doesn't like to be planed. It splinters easily but machines really well.

EB3Al likes this.
  3. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    And said splinters always make a beeline for any subcutaneous opportunities.

EB3Al likes this.
  4. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Wenge is THE wood.
    I am obsesed with wenge.
    Wenge fretboards (freted and fretless) wenge neck,wenge neck laminates,if i could have a bass made only from wenge,it would be my dream bass

EB3Al likes this.
  5. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    In 1992 I bought a job lot of Wenge that had been sat in a yard in the London docklands for years and years. They needed shut of it when the developments were going on so I got the lot for next to nothing, the main cost was transport but including that it was still silly cheap (I knew the owner of a haulage company who had a wagon coming home empty). I paid in total just under £500 and there was well over 1500cu ft of the stuff. We made tones of Wenge furniture, I have a lot of the house floored with the stuff, to be honest I'm sick to death of it :roflmao:

The Ryantist, EB3Al and Englishman like this.
  6. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    If i wasn't married,i would marrie you

EB3Al and Christine like this.
  7. EB3Al

EB3Al

Dec 9, 2011
    I've read somewhere it's a real pig to cut into and fret? I've only made a few fretboards in my time and have only used good ol' rosewood. Will I struggle?

8. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    As long as your fret saw isn't blunted ...and you don't try to force the cut... it cuts fine.
    I did a wenge board on my very first fretted bass. I don't remember having any problems.

EB3Al likes this.
  9. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    It's a bit like cutting bakerlite, it has that same resinous hard texture to it. It's about as hard to fret as ebony. In fact you can cut yourself quite easily if you make an edge on it. It doesn't compress well so you may find that you need to use a slightly wider gauge fret saw or de-burr/tang your fret wire a bit. It's great material to work with, but like all woods...it has its quirks.

10. EB3Al

EB3Al

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks for the tip. Think I'll give it a go.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021