Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge neck and fretboard = Neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, Dec 26, 2005.

1. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Just curious...

Will a Swamp-ash Warwick corvette with a wenge fretboard AND wenge neck cause neck dive? Read swamp-ash is quite a light wood and lots of wenge on the neck may neck dive the bass...

:bassist:

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I have a Geddy Lee Jazz bass with a Warmoth neck made of wenge and ebony fretboard. While the neck IS heavy, I can't really say it's due to the wenge. Warmoth necks are just... rather heavy.

Anyway, the neck doesn't dive. On a bass with a shorter upper horn, it might.

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Doesn't Fender's have short upper horn's compared to a Warwick corvette anyway?

Thanks for the reply :)

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an old Fortress 5 with maple body and wenge/wenge neck andFB. Never had a problem. Really stable and excellent action.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No, Warwick's crappy design and ergonomics cause neck dive, not the type of wood used.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own a Corvette FNA with an all-wenge neck and fretboard, and had no problems with neck dive. The only Warwicks that I have played that had problems with neck dive are the Thumbs.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Ash can vary in weight quite a bit and the short horn
    on most Warwick designs cause the neck dive.

8. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I find them wonderfully comfortable Mr Cheezewiz..... :smug:

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

More power to you then. Everyone should play what is comfortable for them.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a Streamer LX with wenge neck and fingerboard. No problems with neck dive.

Riis

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    how would a wenge neck with maple fretboard sound?

12. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    After playing Fender and Musicman Basses (and one Lakland for a short time) for the last 35 years, I just picked up a Thumb Bolt-On 5-String. My first impression is that the Thumb is the best playing bass I've ever tried. The neck is incredible. No neck "dive" what so ever. The balance is different than a Fender type design. After about 2 minutes of playing, I completely adjusted to the difference. By the way, I don't like the way Laklands play, but I wouldn't say it is because of a crappy design.

13. IME, it depends on how many strings you have on the bass vs. the body size.

-ryan-

14. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    My Warwick Tumb-6 NT (Wenge-Ovang/Wenge) dives like a swimmer. My MTD 535 (Wenge-Wenge) doesn’t.

I believe some divers dive because of how the upper horn is shaped. Warwicks are stubby and T-Birds are nonexistent and both are notorious divers.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As noted, it's all about the upper horn. Basses (like Fenders & clones) that have horns reaching the 12th fret rarely if ever have neck dive.

My MTD 535 had a wenge/wenge neck and very light tulipwood body, but the horn was long enough so that there was no neck dive.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The ash of the passive ash Corvettes is medium ash, not light swamp ash, though not heavy hard ash, either.
    Wenge necks are heavy.
    If it's a 4, you might get away with little or no neck dive.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes.
    The Corvette is not too well balanced from the start, and an all-wenge neck will add to that.

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I put together a Gecko with a wenge neck and fingerboard and it was quite heavy. The weight of the neck was nicely offset though by the solid walnut body that was very heavy. No balance problems though. I also owned an Elrick 5 string that had a swamp ash body and wenge neck/finger board. Easily the lightest bass that I've ever owned and absolutely "zero" balance problems. If you're going for a nice woody sound, you may want to consider an Elrick in lieu of the Warwick. Elrick is well known for putting together very light weight basses that have a great phat sound.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    neck dive tends to come more from the upper horn design than from the neck.

20. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Thumb 4 Bolt-on dives like Jacques Cousteau - a good wide strap is in order. I play low slung anyway, so it doesn't bother me much :)