Wenge neck & ash body: Who's got this combination? Sonic characteristics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexclaber, Nov 2, 2005.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just doing some further investigating before commiting to a new Bee Bass! Looking at a wenge thru-neck and fingerboard with medium weight ash stringers, headstock and chambered body wings.

Who's got this (or similar) wood combination and how would you describe its tonal effects? Pros and cons?

2. My MTD 535 has a a wenge neck and board and light ash (swamp ash) body. Compared to other MTD's I've played with different wood combinations... it has a very aggressive treble response.... like 8K and up... really sizzly, HUGE low end and a very punchy low mid burp.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ptidwell just placed an order with me for a bass with these wood combo's. It's gonna have Nord DC's and an OBP-3 (alla Poon) but it's gonna take about 4 months before I can tell you my thoughts of it. I'm looking really forward to hearing it, also.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ash cuts through like a mofo.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Some older Warwicks had this combo, like the Corvette Pro. MTDs have this combo as does Elrick. It's a pretty good combo IMO.
  6. I have two elricks, one with an ash body/wenge neck and the other is alder/maple. For my taste the ash/wenge is right where I need it to be every time. The other is less, oh how do I put it, "there". Not as quick, not as good sounding, not as complex. The alder/maple is just so much mellower, is mellower a word?
  7. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    my KL joust bass has this combo (mostly wenge neck, ash body, chambered)... sounds great and very even tonally. However, I'm not sure how much of a role the woods play in the tone versus scale length, pickups, and strings.

8. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Have a Custom Wenge(mostly)/koa NT 6er w/ ash wings. I'd say it's on the brighter side - cuts, but pleasantly. The lower notes are very solid and round though. It has a clear sound.

I love ash as a body wood, but find it differs quite a bit from sample to sample. basses w/ ash just seems to almost always have a quality that I like.
  9. My 535 has the same woods as in the quote. The tone description is pretty accurate. The only thing I can add is that overall the tone is really focused and tight.