Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge neck/fretboard with Walnut body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demens, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    How do you all think this will look/sound? (Wenge neck/fretboard and Walnut body) I personally love the tone of Wenge fretboards and Walnut bodies... but I've never heard them together. I am about to order a custom bass and was wondering if this would sound good, and not look too tacky (though I know looks come second in a bass...)

Edit: I would also like to know what people thought of finishes for a walnut bass. Would it look nicer to put a clear gloss on it? Or just do an oil finish? (Maybe some pics would be nice? People keep telling me Clear Gloss would be best...)

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Replied on JMF.

And about finish, it seems to be more popular to do a gloss on figured woods, no?

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    A high gloss finish on Walnut would certainly make the figure "pop", but I like the subtlety of the light matte finish on my Walnut top. I also like the fact that it feels like wood. It has nothing to do with playability, it's just my preference.

Oh, and I think Wenge & Wenge on Walnut would be cool and not tacky. Who is going to build yours?!!! :hyper:

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have *almost* that same combination in my Jerzy. It's got a walnut body with a 5-piece wenge/bubinga neck (though the bubinga stringers are only about 1/4"), and a walnut body. The difference is my fretboard is ebony.

Anyway, tonally, it's a pretty dark bass with incredibly rich low mids and just enough sparkle to give some good definition to each note. Very warm sounding combination, yet still clear enough for my tastes. :bassist:

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Walnut Crotches look great clear glossed. If it won't have a fancy top, I think oiled would look better. Some lighter stripes and contours would definitely work.

6. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    +1

7. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I have a '94 Warwick Thumb BO with that configuration. The sound is great, it's very hifi and dry sounding bass though so it won't fit every situation.

Check a sound clip:

http://www.rinki.net/pekka/music/thumb1.wav (381KB)

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Can you get good mids from it (jaco burps)? I always thought that combination would yield a heavy mids bass. When you say "dark" sound, I tend to think bass heavy, scooped mids.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There are many more contributing tone factors than just the wood of the neck and body. Your pickups, pickup placement, and other things will determine your tone and if you get what you want.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

For that exact combination, Hambone's latest creation -- the Jazzwick -- is just what you're looking for. Looks great, too. Maple neck, wenge board, and walnut body.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    With the blend favoring the bridge pickup and the treble rolled off a bit, mids (250 Hz) boosted a touch (onboard 3 band Bart preamp with mid-selector), and bass set flat, I get that growly Jaco tone very easily. :hyper:

When I say "dark", I think "not bright". It's got treble clarity, but not harsh treble like my all-maple Spector. ;)

12. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    This is sort of close:

[​IMG]

Wenge neck and Figured Walnut top

PS: It sounds amazing! I've had several Wenge neck basses and they all had alot of growl and are very organic sounding

13. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Alright, thanks for all of the help. I think I am going to go with what I have been planning to go with from the beginning: Walnut body with figured walnut top, 5 piece laminated neck with purpleheart and wenge, and a wenge fingerboard. Clear gloss finish on the body (none on the neck/fingerboard). As far as pickups go, I'm going to get two P2 Bartolini soapbars... not sure on the preamp yet, probably just some sort of 3-band from Bartolini.

Oh yeah... bass is a 5-string.

Thanks for all the help... it's nice to be reassured when you are about to give away a tone of money :p

14. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm looking at a Wenge neckthru, walnut body, gabon ebony fretboard. Bartolini soapbars too.

Love that Elrick pic.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not that you asked for it, but being the opportunistic person I am, here's a pic of the front [​IMG] and the back [​IMG]

16. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    great bass. zebrawood top? that's the one in your sound clip?

oops. sorry that was mr bungles sound clip.

still a great looking bass.

17. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    That bass is beautiful! Gorgeous.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you!

The bass plays like butter. I was never comfortable with 5's, as I found 'em to be too...hard to play. For some reason, I felt at home with this from day one!:D

It's a zebrawood top with a wenge tone plate sandwiched between the top and back.

It's just a fun bass to play, and I love it! :hyper: