Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge on custom Warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joshua Alexander, Sep 11, 2002.

1. I was wondering you could get a custom Warwick with a wenge neck or is that impossible?

2. Warwick should be able to build you anything you want.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...actually i think this is the one thing they won't do, but i'm not 100% sure.

i heard somewhere that someone got a quote on doing an all rosewood dolphin like they used to, and it added 4k onto the price because "it was so hard to find a piece big enough" i'm sure they'd give you the same response for a wenge neck.

just go used - IMO they're better basses anyways.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Pfff, yeah whatever, easy for YOU to say. YOU just got a Warwick fretless 6er. IM JEALOUS! :p Naw man, congrats again! :D

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    LOL. well, the incoming fretless is a '98, my SS2 is a '98, and my old N/T Thumb 5 was a '98.

so i know it'll be fine based on that. seriously, just buy somethign that already has a wenge neck. it's not that hard to do. (especially if you don't want something crazy like a 6string fretless {watch as 10 pop up tomorrow})

6. Kinda difficult to find a used Dolphin 5 string.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Heh, so true.

*waits poised and ready with credit card in hand*

:D

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had a twist on my ovangkol neck on my Corvette Standard and I sent it back to Dana B. Goods. They put a wenge neck on in its place. They said it was stiffer. They must have had access to them. Now word on the street is that wenge is not available because of some endless African war. It still pops up on MTDs and Elricks though.

9. Wenge is available as a custom neck option at the moment. Nice to see that DBG replaced ovangkol with wenge when the earlier poster had a problem. My 99 FNA (a model no longer made) has a wenge neck with medium frets. Most ovangkol-necked Warwicks are now coming with jumbos and IMO feel slower to play. Having said that, I did have an ovangkol-necked Streamer Std. that I really liked and made fast by applying Watco Danish oil finish before Warwick beeswax. The story has been oft-told of how I upgraded that one from passive to active and sold it at a profit, so I shant repeat it here.