1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wenge/Pau Ferro Jazz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Yvarg, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Yvarg

Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Buena Park, CA
    I've finally been able to make up my mind on what my next project is going to be and I've decided on making a five string jazz(ish) bass. Here's the specs I'm tossing around right now:

- One piece Wenge body
    - Pau Ferro neck
    - Ebony fretboard
    - Bloodwood block inlays and binding on the neck (still unsure on this one)
    - Bloodwood pickguard (also unsure on whether or not to use a pickguard)
    - Q-tuner pickups (again, largely unsure right now)
    - Black hardware (brands undecided)
    - No finish on the neck (lemon oil?)
    - A few coats of satin wipe-on poly on the body or no finish at all (Warmoth says Wenge doesn't need a finish, but I'm not sure I trust that on a body; we'll see)

I know, I know, this is going to weigh a ton. I'm going to make the body somewhere between 1 3/8" and 1 1/2" thick to help a little bit with the weight. Here's some pictures of a very rough body and neck so far. Progress will probably be quite slow on this due to a lack of equipment at the moment, but I can't wait to really start working on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Man, that are some gorgeous woods! Unbelievable. And a jazz bass too.... can a build also be on your GAS list?? :smug: This thing is going to be amazing, really!!

One thing (but that's just my opinion): wouldn't gold hardware look beautiful on such dark woods?

3. Yvarg

Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Buena Park, CA
    Thanks! The thing that I still find hard to believe is that I got the board of Wenge (about 23" x 15" x 2") and the board of Pau Ferro (about 5" x 36" x 7/8") for roughly the same price of an Alder or Ash body blank from StewMac!

Oh man, gold hardware; the thought had never even passed through my mind (weird, huh?). Thanks a lot for that suggestion, I have some serious considering to do now! ;)

4. Well, that's a good deal on the woods! Good luck deciding on the hardware.. and sorry, 'cause gold hardware's a bit more expensive... but than again, you did save on the wood :D

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    thats gonna be heavy, but will have a load of punch, in theory

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    oh, and no pickguard, dont cover up that lovely wenge, and, the block inlay idea i like, go for it, its lookin good

7. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    subscribed!

8. The Insane

The Insane

Jul 12, 2007
    Germany
    mmmmh Wenge, yummy :smug:
    Looks great!

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i assume that you are doing more ergonomic arm contour based on that line drawn, which makes this thing even more awsome. My vote is black for the hardware. I am a fan of bloodwood, so the idea of it inlayed into ebony sounds nothing short of orgasmic. i am going to like this one!

10. Those woods look juicy!!! Gonna be sweet :)

11. Mcfunkinstein

Mcfunkinstein

Jun 22, 2008
    heavy as ****

12. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    subscribed

13. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    i really dont think that that kind of language even with the spaces inbetween the letters is acceptable here, just thought i would get to it before the mods did, just as a friendly reminder

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Pau Ferro is an awesome wood, looks good, behaves good and sounds good.

15. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    any updates?

16. Yvarg

Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Buena Park, CA
    Actually, yes. Tonight I routed the trussrod slot:

[​IMG]

I had a little trouble because I cut the neck out of the plank it came from (to maximize the amount of usable wood), which meant I didn't have a straight edge of the wood to guide the router. Luckily, all router troubles will be covered with the fingerboard and not affect how the rod sits in the neck.

I also picked up the wood for the fingerboard a while ago. Since I didn't have the money for a large piece of ebony (the store couldn't cut down any of their boards for me), I went with a piece of coracao de negro that was very dark:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really need to get my thickness sander up and running so I can do more work on the body.

17. Yvarg

Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Buena Park, CA
    This past week I've been slowly working on the belly carve, and man it took forever. Here's an action shot:
    DSC00764.

And the completed carve awaiting to be cleaned up further with some sandpaper:

DSC00768.

18. Sweet :smug:! I really love wenge!!

19. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    how do you route your truss rods?

20. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    This is going to be one sweet jazz bass! I've thought about doing a build kind of like this. Kudos for doing it all yourself too! Not an easy thing to do, I can say that from experience :meh:

Nice to see younger guys doing work like this. Takes a lot of determination. :bassist: