1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wenge/Pic

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassedsouth, Aug 27, 2007.

1. I'm interested in opinions on wheather or not I should use the Wenge/Panga Panga strip in-between the two pieces of Walnut.The reason I'm thinking of doing this is that my Walnut blanks are slightly undersized for my design.This would be a thick cap over Ash if I go this route.
    My concern is that part of the slab of Wenge was split and I'm worried that the strip although free of defects may give me problems down the line .Also Wenge looks as if it may be difficult to work with in conjunction with softer woods.All the woods I have have between 6-8% moisture content.
    Any advice would be great :)

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    You said that the walnut pieces were 2" thick right? You could bookmatch one of the pieces and keep the sappy side in the top.

I don't like much the wenge between the two pieces of walnut but you know... this is a matter of personal taste and I don't think you are going to have any problems in the future if you decide to keep it.

We don't have wenge down here but I have read several people in here claiming that work with wenge is a big pain in the *ss.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    The piece on the high side of the bass looks nicer than the other though both would look great in a bass. I remembered you said 2 something but didn't remember well if it was cm or inches. 2cm is still ok for you to bookmatch it (there is a thread running right now about how some guy here do this by themselfs) or send it to someone elses to do it.

5. Are you using wenge or panga panga? Those are two different woods :D

6. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    +1 I’ve noticed that on ebay a lot of vendors have wenge labeled panga panga or perhaps panga panga labeled wenge.......:meh:

7. Here's a close pick of the offending :D wood !!
    Locally Panga Panga is also called Wenge for some reason :confused:
    If they are different then all I know is that they probably come from the same region up North by Mozamique .

To my eyes it looks pretty much the same as the Wenge on my Warwick Thumb .

8. Wenge is genus/species Millettia laurentii and Panga Panga is Millettia stuhlmannii.

We'll probably see more mis-named offers on ebay as wenge climbs in price and supply becomes more erratic due to local politics and other factors. I've had inquires from MAJOR factory names looking for a domestic supplier for panga panga to replace wenge.

9. Are you able to tell from my pic which of the species the wood belongs to.
    Panga Panga seems to be pretty common in Africa . The supplier I deal with exports to the US.

10. It's never positive ID from pics, but your wood looks like panga panga because of the lighter extractive colorants although, wenge can have the same look until UV darkens it. Based on the pic per se, I'd say panga panga.

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    One thing to remember about running Wenge between the walnut pieces, is that the wenge is much harder than the walnut, and you run the risk of having the wenge become a high area during sanding. You may want to use a scraper to keep these level during finish sanding, IF you decide to go this way.

12. Thanks for the advice , at this stage of my bass building any suggestions etc are appreciated / must be a real pain for you experienced builders.:)