Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wenge v ovankol necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviecsg, Oct 7, 2003.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    making another comparison here.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of wenge necks over ovankol necks that some of the warwick basses come with?

I've heard rumors that wenge necks are more stable but ovankol nails a better tone.

What's your take on that?

Steve

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    More Discussion on Old v Newer Warwicks

Wenge is 30% harder than red oak, (1630 on the Janka scale vs. 1260 for red oak).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Texture is rather coarse; straight grain; hard and heavy. Works fairly well with machine tools but has a high blunting effect on cutting edges.

Wenge has been known to cause respiratory and contact dermatitis allergic reactions. Care should be taken when exposed to the dust of Wenge. Referral to Material Safety Data Sheet is recommended. Workers can be adversely affected by the irritating dust of wenge. Its toxicity is well known in many parts of the world because the bark of several species is ground into a powder to stupefy fish for harvest. Dust collection systems are essential when working with this wood.

Wenge is a highly regarded tone wood for Bass and a choice for designers such as Michael Tobias.

Wenge has a certain 'damping factor' that makes it unsuitable for Acoustic Guitars; this translates into "Punch" with solid body Electric Basses.

Ovangkol on the other hand is quite resonant and is an excellent choice for Acoustic's (i.e. Taylor). More overtones.

Ovangkol is not as heavy or as hard as Wenge and is much easier to cut, glue, and nail without toxic dust.

Wenge is one of the hardest, heaviest, and most stable woods available for necks. It's extraordinarily difficult and expensive milling characteristics, as well as diminishing availability makes it more "valuable" then Ovangkol.

Important Considerations:

Warwick Ovangkol Necks come with the 'carbon/teflon alloy' mechanical bar nut.
    [​IMG]
    and big strap buttons.

Wawick Wenge Necks come with an adjustable Brass nut. Brass is the most durable because there's no chance that it will chip or break; it has little (brass) screws in the nut on which every string lies, in this manner you can adjust the stringheight for each string seperately by turning the screw.
    [​IMG]
    and recessed Dunlop strap locks.

Wenge Neck Warwicks are generally more prized because the general concense is that older Warwicks are built better.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i like the feel of the wenge better also ontop of everything else..

steve

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned quite a few Warwick's in my day, and my preference is still with the older, Wenge necks because I love the look and feel of Wenge. I think there are some disadvantages though. My Dolphin has the Wenge neck and is starting to splinter. This to me is the biggest disadvantage to Wenge. Ovangkol to me is a very close second in terms of neck wood to Wenge, but at times can look really drab. Soniclly, Ovangkol is very good if not better than Wenge. Ovangkol essentially is Bubinga which is a very dense and popular neck wood as well. I've played a number of newer Warwicks that I preferred the sound to older ones in a direct comparrison. I defintley prefer the sound of the newer Stage II's. The reason for the switch to Ovangkol according to DBG is because of the splinterring issues with Wenge, and because Ovangkol is easier to work with which in the end lowers their overall cost. Unless you're totally sold on finding a Wenge necked Warwick, you'll be just as happy with the Ovangkol necks, and you'll save a little dough too.