Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Jun 17, 2001.

1. What are the chances of my solid Wenge wood neck moving in future?

The bass is new now and I am happy with the look and feel of the neck, but am not sure how long it'll stay that way

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Wenge is aextremely solid /stable wood. I dont believe you will have problems with it in the future.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You shouldn't have any qualms about it, according to the research I did for my custom. For instance, one of them, http://guitarbuild.virtualave.net says it is very hard and coarse grained and "makes awesome necks."

Muli-laminate is nice but isn't the only way to go.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think i disagree....

my warwicks neck just freaked out this week after being down in the studio for a couple days. (the "lounge" got flooded and we were drying out with a fan, the fan evaporated the moisture, leading to a very humid environment) now it buzzes a ton. it had been a while since i had set it up, but it's still buzzing a decent amount - not enough that it's noticible live, but noticible enough that i couldn't record with it.

i've noticed that wenge's open grain picks up a ton of moisture. if you've ever played it outside on a humid day you'll notice how after a half hour or so it sweats moisture.

jason

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Bah!!
    Tell me about a Wood (Not Pakka, nor Graphite reinforced necks)that wont behave like that when having a Humidity factor over 90%
    I highly believe that Wenge is one of the most stable woods that sound great on a Neck.
    And that´s why the truss rod is for.
    And thats also why I like having graphite reinforcements and laminations even when using wenge.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    lots has to do with the finish. a maple finish with lacquer, much like my guitar players super-strats, won't budge ever. but, i CAN'T play finished necks, so i guess i'm fudged there.

also a more closed grain wood like maple, even unfinished, won't pick up as much moisture as an open grained wood.

that said - unless you live somewhere without air conditioning, wenge is VERY stable, i've had to adjust the neck once or twice since owning it.

jason

7. rickbass

jason - I've agree with Luis that you can take any neck, short of graphite, and subject it to the tropical rainforest conditions you described and it will go nuts, especially since you don't play finished necks. I have a 5-piece neck-through and just the 2 pieces of koa in it make it go beserk when this place turns into tropical rainforest in the spring.

Is your neck quartersawn? (I don't know about Warwicks). That, (quartersawn = stablility), and conditions in which the tree grew can make a big difference, (i.e., low rainfall as the tree grew can mean it will drink up moisture like a sponge; the wood is lighter than a typical lumber of the same specie).

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Tell me...
    I live in South America.
    I know what humidity is man!
    And you have to see my how my Cort Curbows (1 Pieces Maple necks) play at morning after a rainy night.

9. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I used to import and distribute Warwick in my country. I had soo many problems with Warwick bolt on necks, moreover with the 5 stings basses.Some of them swell and shrinks so people can feel the joint between the wood. I had complained many times to Warwick but they did not care. Most of them 90% warped , and it was so difficult to adjust only with the truss rod. Some client came back with broken trussrod.
    I believe this has something to do with unfinished necks, which absorb and release moisture easily.
    The wenge neck of the Thumbbolts also warps , worse on the 5 strings , customer did not want to buy. Warwick is notorious in my country[Indonesia] for their bad neck. I saw their previous distributors shop got few old stock with the bent neck.
    I do not find this problem with finished neck i.e. Reverend Rumblefish which I also imported.
    I agree that truss rod need to be adjusted from time to time but not for many times in a year.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have heard the exactly opposite about Warwicks...
    But well, many things can happen...
    In my experience with Wenge Necks, I have found that they are more stable than anything I have had.
    About Finishing.. You may think it is unfinished, but thats not true.
    They are mostly Tung-Oiled.

11. On a bit of a sidenote:

Hey Jason, are you talking about that storm on Thursday? My two guitarists and I were down in Madison hitting the music stores (we don't have much for music stores up here in Rapids) that day. Our last stop of the day was Good Music and we were inside when the rain came. I don't remember ever seeing it rain quite so much.. we had a pretty crazy drive out of town.

That really sucks that you had flooding.. I hope your bass is alright... it sounded nice with your jazz band.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    steamboat: all those storms last week added up did it. our studio is in a basement that was supposedly made leak proof.

my bass is a warwick neck thru - 4 pieces of wenge and 3 of bubinga. not sure on the quartersawn/flatsawn deal though.

it seems to be getting better every day i have it sitting out at home (central A/C is a big help) and i'm gonna putz with it tomorrow to get it back to normal. it's not twisted, thankfully!

jason

13. I loved the wenge neck on my Warwick 5. It was the most stable bass neck I have had. I recently took my bass from a COLD Montreal winter to Central America and South America and back again. The neck didn't even move. The setup was perfect at the end of the trip. I would sometimes go from playing in an air conditioned hall to playing outside in tropical heat. No problem. I did find that after owning the bass for about five months I could VERY slightly feel the edges of the laminates under my thumb. I emailed Warwick about this. They told me it was normal and would not be a problem. They said that if the feeling bothered me I could take it to my repair guy and have him sand the back of the neck to smooth it out. The feeling didn't bother me as it blended with the open grain of the wood.

14. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I just bought a virtually brand new Warwick Streamer LX5 Broadneck with twin truss rod. Its an Ovancol neck with Wenge fingerboard. Has anybody had any problems with one of these. I had a Fortress5 a while back with an all wenge neck and its neck was the most stable I've played apart from an all graphite Status.

15. Don't try this with any other wood neck!

This is a photograph of the strength of the Warwick Wenge Neck. This one is three piece. Center quartersawn and two flat sawn sides.

16. rickbass

Donne - Did wherever you took that from say anything about whether the truss rod was bent afterwards?

Wood has lots of "give" or flexibility, (just look at the shaping on hollow body instruments, such as a double bass). But bending metal in a threaded sleeve doesn't seem like it would recover as well

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Hey, that looks like my....oh no it's not, thank goodness. I've heard of demo models but jeeze.

Wax your neck - keep out the humidity. It's true though, I was playing in a previously flooded basement in Philly this weekeng and my wenge was sweating in my hands.

18. That picture hurts me!

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a MTD 535 with a Maple neck and Wenge fingerboard. I have always owned basses with maple necks or maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. I've always been happy with the tone I got.

I noticed that the MTD's Wenge fingerboard imparts a distinctive mid-range & hi-mid range punch to the bass's tone. It gives it a hi-fi tone and great punch and clarity. Sometimes too clear, but I like it.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek:

That's one way to get a backbow out of a neck!:p