Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Is wenge normally just used for fretboards, or is it used for the whole neck? (old warwicks)

2. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Can be used for Necks, Fretboards, and i've even seen bodies too.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Wnege can be used for all of those things. I have a wenge necked bass that's excellent.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just don't be shocked when you price an instrument made of wenge. This is from the MTD site:

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Did old warwicks have the entire neck made out of wenge instead of just the fretboard? Does Wenge have a nice feel (as in back of neck), or just sound really good?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Feels good, nice and silky...

Daddy like

:eek:

7. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I don't know what the situation really is with wenge, but I ordered a fair amount for the furnishings in my home and the price hike hasn't hit us here yet.

I think MTD first posted about this shortage 1 1/2 years ago. At that time, the luthier who built my bass had no issues obtaining enough for the neck of my bass.

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Even Peavey is still make a wenge cirrus.

9. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Maybe some still have some the wood in stock?

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, there's no doubt wenge available. But, many luthiers apparently feel that with the civil war in Central Africa, the supply of wenge may be running out. Also, while I can't necessarily comment on the quality of wenge, I know that some luthiers will not use certain stocks of wenge because it's quality is not as superior as other wenge.

11. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I'm no expert but I believe that the wood has to be air dried, anywhere from a year - 3 or 4. So maybe MTD anticipates this in advance.

I wonder if any civil war issues have already been resolved and we're waiting for more air dried supplies to come out of the woodwork. (pun unintended).

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    German bass guru Reiner Dobbratz builds his Le Fay basses with a wenge body and a padouk neck.

www.lefay.de

13. Wenge is still available on the exotic wood market, but it's difficult to find perectly straight grained stock.

I used a lot of wenge for window and door sills and trims when I built my house, and it was a bear to work with. It's very hard and springy, and tends to take off and warp in wierd ways without notice.

When I ordered my two MTD's, Mike advised against using wenge for the neck. I recently got an '85 Tobias neck-through that has a wenge neck and all zebrawood and wenge body. The wenge on that bass has a grain structure that looks like it was drawn by a draftsman. It's absolutely straight and symmetrical, and the neck has been perfectly stable. It's a wonderful bass.

It appears that for guitar neck use wenge has to be cut from an old growth, straight, tall tree and it has to be milled and handled properly at all stages. Any minor problems can lead to instability and warpage, more so than many other woods. Maple and Honduran Mahogany in particular are very stable woods.

It's possible that really good, properly processed wenge may soon be a thing of the past. I don't know whether this means that we should try to get basses made with the last of the good stocks, or if this is like killing off the last of an endangered species for a good meal !

Aloha,

Jonathan

:confused:

14. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    about the civil war in Middle Africa: as a Belgian (who had Congo as a colony untill the early '60) I get some more news about it (some old relatives of friends living there).

IT IS NOT LOOKING GOOD THERE!

The country is completely chaos, economy is down to the ground, all parties (including government) are just trying to get as much power and money out of the situation as possible, etc. ...

Not looking good for us who like Wenge necks... but even worse for the people overthere!
    I know this is not the place to discuss politics, but I feel it is about time the international community did something...

15. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    My 94' thumb has a wenge neck - and very nice it feels too ! Took a little while to get used to a finished neck after playing the warwick for a while. My thumb was dragging on the finished neck as the wenge feels faster.

Despite the wenge wood shortage we have just (yesterday!!) bought a solid wenge table at work for one of our 'meet and greet' rooms. Its big enough to make a number of necks out of, so if anyone needs any just email me and I'll get my saw out....

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

the older neck-through basses had 7 piece wenge/bubinga necks...the first bolt on warwicks, the fortress one and corvette, had three piece, all wenge necks. now they are using multi-laminate bubinga/ovankol or just ovankol necks (this is the same stuff that wal calls shedua). i like the feel of the wenge, personally, but i don't particularly prefer the sound of one over the other...i've played basses with wenge and ovankol necks, and i've liked and disliked basses made of both.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Why don't you just pack up that whole table and send it down to Mobile, Alabama?! That would be a nice gesture for a fellow bass player!:D :D

Anyways...I'm still debating about the Thumb 6, 'cause I do want a Wenge neck. Maybe I'll find an older one. But any Ideas where I can get a Wenge neck for a P-bass? I've often thought about switching mine, cause I just don't like the Rosewood board, but I won't get rid of it cause it was my first bass.

I know I could probably get one from Warmouth, but I haven't called them yet. Wanna see what y'all have to say.

Thanks!

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, your best bet is probably Warmoth. www.warmoth.com

BTW: There's no u in Warmoth:D.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  20. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i got a conklin gt-7 with a mostly wenge neck, with 3 thin strips of purpleheart. it sounds great, and the feel is fast and smooth. highly recomended