Went abseiling - whow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Well, was invited abseiling with our singer and some of her friendsa last night. One of her friends is doiung a sponsored abseil down a local hospital, and wantedto some practice. The session csot the same for up to 6 people, so I went along to make up numbers.

Interesting experience, no, amazing experience!!!! We went to the Glasgow Climbing Centre, whihc is a converted church, inside os full of artificial climbing walls of varying difficulties. You can also abseil down these walls.

However, our instructor decided we would abseil down the outside of the spire!!! We had to go out the window next to where the bell was! I was a bit nervous at first, but whow, once you get going it's great, and anyway, I'm not afraid of heights, it's the sudden stop at the end that does all the damage! I think we went down about 60 ft, not big, but not bad for a start, on and old church spire, in the twilight!!!!

Anyone else do this??
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm not sure what abseiling means, but if it's anything like rock climbing using ropes (on belay, off belay) then I can relate. :)

Quite a blast repelling down the side of a (for me) rock cliff. I imagine going down the side of a church would have a similar affect (if not more spectators).

3. Ah, rappelling - is that what you guys call it!
  4. I've jumped from the largest perminent bungy structure in the world.... bet that's more exciting than abseiling! :D
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Things like this are only exciting when you don't have to do them for a living...even if it is from a UH-60 in the middle of the night.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i second that, zulu...
  7. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Bet it isn't. I've done 'em both and abseiling (repelling) is a lot more exciting - for a start off you can get up to a pretty high speed - but with a rock face directly in front of you to show you how fast your going. Unlike bungy where you jump off and thats about all your involvement with abseiling your in control all the way down. The last time I abseiled I burnt the hand of the guy on the safety rope as the rope whistled through the safety brake...

Hmm out of a helicopter sounds way cool - I'd be up for a slice of that :D

8. I've never fancied bungie jumping - too much risk of injury, and it seems to b free fall with a large twang at the end (I'd prefer parachuting, and it's on my list of things to do).

OK, we did it down th eside of an old building (a church), maybe not as much fun as a rock face but what a buzz! I take the point about the doing it for a living guys - I did it 'cos I wanted to, not 'cos I had too, and I appreciate what you're saying.

I can't wait to do it again, I'd love to do it on a bigger building - the Glasgow Climbing Cente has the only license to do abseiling - or rapelling, down the Walllace Monument!!!!! That sounds more loke fun. Our instructor told us that the last time they did the monument, one of the team was 90 years old!!! His biggest problem was the stairs - he had a 15min rest at the top before he shot down!!!

GF - funny you mentioned the burning hands trick, I went down so quickly that when one of my colleagues came to help me undo the crabs and rope, he burnt his hand on my figure '8', it had gotten pretty warm - due to speed and the weight of my fat ass pulling it down:D :D
  9. I jumped off my couch once with a bed sheet for a cape on... :rolleyes:

10. Sorry Merls - contrary to popular belief the wearing of a Superman costume, or the wearing of an imitation Bat cape do not infer the ability to fly!:D ;)
  12. I've abseiled down a sheer cliff right next to the roaring ocean, and that was pretty cool. I was about 15 at the time.
  13. I've done quite a bit of climbing and rappelling, but the best rappel I've done was at a National Guard Base here in Oregon, face first out of a helicopter perched on a 200-ft tall tower. No, the chopper doesn't work, but it was still a lot of fun!!:D

Rock on
  14. It doesnt?? hmm that'd probably explain the bruising..... :(

15. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I tied a towel to some string and then to a backpack, then jumped off my dads truck...

16. That sounds very cool!!:)

17. I'm arranging my flights to Oregon right now!!!! That sounds like an absolute rush!!!!! Even if the chopper don't work - who cares!:) :cool:

18. Yup, dat about do it!!!;)

19. Did it hurt!!! Sound like it would!;)
  20. did you yell "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" when u jumped??? :p