Went amp shopping, got a few surprises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Aug 29, 2002.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, went amp shopping last weekend and had a few pleasant surprises. I will try to give you my biased, subjective reviews of equipment here.

Hartke 410XL - Good clear sound, but very, very, very bright; it was very harsh in the mids. I did not care for this sound as I play mostly R&B and Jazz where a warmer sound is preferred. Summary - thumbs down.

Hartke 115VX and 410VX - these are the new traiditional paper-cone Hartke cabs. They sounded awesome. the 115 was punchy and had lots of bottom without being muddy. I cannot imagine to many situations where a decent amp and this 115 cab would not suffice. The 410VX, IMHO, sounded punchy like the more expensive 410XL, but without the harsh mid-bite. Summary - thumbs up on both.

SWR Super Redhead - F^&*ing amazing. No wonder it costs so dang much. For small/medium gigs, it would be perfect. Slap another 410 under it and you will have enough juice for about any gig. Controls were clear, the sound was tight. If I ever have to studio work, I MUST get one of these.

Hartke 2200 - This is the new 2x12 with a horn. What can I say, after about 15 minutes of rumbling through this cab, my credit card magically jumped out to buy it and the amp climbed into the back seat of my car. Imagine the clarity of the Hartke 4x10 cabs but with more depth of sound and less harshness. It will slap and pop easily and then rumble some R&B P-bass sound without a hiccup. Amazing. I just need to sell my old gear to pay for this one (and a new Hartke 3500 head I plan to get).

Hope this was useful to someone....
  3. Hey CYoung, I'd look at some of the threads about Hartke heads if I were you. My 3500 became a real nuisance after about 3 years and I'm not the only person who had problems with them. Caveat emptor.
  4. Yeah, I was looking at those too...I have been using 2x12's for about 4 years now and I love 'em. There are so many great new ones to choose from. What are the specs on yours? How deep in range do they go do you think? Did you happen to compare them to any other 2x12's at all?
  5. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Here is a link to the cabinet specs:

It claims to go down to 29Hz and I believe it! Just for fun, I hooked it up to a PA unit and drove regular music through it. These cabs have a very hi-fi character and sounded exceptional. I would seriously consider using a pair of 2200s as small/medium PA cabs.

I did not try any other 2x12s. I played this one and took at home right there. It had the sound I wanted at a price I liked.
  6. 300w's and 4 ohms...doesn't strike me as very durable? All the Hartke stuff seems a little "fragile" too me? Like if I put too much juice into them they would *pop*. Best for smaller gigs maybe?
  7. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    For the type of gigs I have coming up, 300w into 2x12 will be quite enough! Anything bigger and I will be renting an 8x10 stack from somewhere.

As for them being "fragile", I will just have to see. I suspect Hartke is a bit conservative on power ratings.
  8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    The claimed 29hz is probably at -10 or -12db so its probably useless at those low frequencies.
  9. I guess that I am always a little hesitant about using single 4 ohm cabs. Something about a pair of 16 ohm drivers (8 ohm cabs) strikes me as being more "robust." A 300w, 4 ohm cab wouldn't last long with my dynamics I fear. Speaker specs should always be questioned to I suppose....