1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Went back to Hi-Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I originally strung my Ric 4003 with Hi-Beams, but as my obsessions took over, I tried, Lo-Riders (both the nickel and steel versions), and most recently Fat Beams. Whenever I put on new strings, it's always 'these are great' merely because they are either new, or different. But as I played the Fat beams, they seemed stiff, almost too stiff for me. I went back to Hi-Beams, they felt easier to play. I suppose in my old age, (51) I really like strings with ease of playability as my other Ric has Ti Flats.

Anyone else re-discovering the low tension side of life besides me?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I haven't noticed any difference in tension between Hi-Beams and FatBeams - and I have instruments that are fitted out with each.

I will say that a good string, maybe even one's favorite string, isn't necessarily the best possible fit for any particular instrument. If I still owned a Rickenbacker, I'd probably use Hi-Beams on it as well... :meh:

MM

3. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm surprised you found the Fat Beams to be too stiff. I've got them on my 5 string American Standard Jazz bass and at times they almost feel a bit loose. Not sloppy loose, but at times I think I'd like something that's just a little bit on the tighter side.

But hey, we're all differant. What works for you is what's best!

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Maybe it wasn't tension per-se, but the feel was a bit different. I know both are round core strings. Oh well, when my Hi-Beams die, I'll try the Fat-Beams again before I order new strings.