Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went down to GC Boston today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I heard that there were a lot of exotics, and indeed there was :). I only played two basses, but I saw a whole bunch. There were two sukops, an Alembic 6 string, A conklin 6 string custom, a bunch of spectors, a few warwicks (mostly 5ers), a Godin 4a fretted, and a few more which I don't remember. I played a 1983 Fender Jazz with odd string spacing and EMGs, and the Alembic 6 string. The alembic was more like a baritone guitar. The spacing was tighter than a chimpunk arse. It was almost impossible for me to play. Also, the action could use a tweak. I then picked up a 1983 Fender Jazz. It had a maple fretboard, EMGs, and awkward string spacing at the bridge. It took an extra right hand reach to get the G string, but I got used to it. I played a few wooten songs, some jaco, and a few original little funky peices, and got a good response from fellow customers and staff. The people there are really nice and helpful, and don't seem like annoying salesmen. I did take a peek into the acoustic room. I didn't stay long because it reeked in there. Something (or someone) smelled horrible! Other than that, it was great :). I also picked up a NS design 5 string upright, and it was fun to play. Never actually played an upright before. Still seemed enjoyable.

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Man,I wanna go there,but I'm in Maryland. :crying:

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    How come everyone else's guitar center's have nice basses? I hear everyone going to guitar center, playing Alembics, Conklin, and various other customs. Mine just has about 10-15 warwicks, 5 ibanez, and about 10 fender's. Yamaha and musicmen too...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    The one out in Plano had a few nice ones last time I was out. Bunches of warwicks and musicmen, a few spectors (two Europes), a Modulus, a few Pedullas, hoardes of Fenders including a few US and US Vintage models.

The bad thing - all these basses were in terrible shape! Year old strings, setup horrible, all out of tune... and the worst was the Pedulla fretless there. Very beautiful bass, it plays like you could not imagine (it was set up low and pretty damn good compared to the other basses). However there was a 1/4 inch deep gouge the size of a dime on the back of that neck. You may never feel it playing it, but just knowing it's there because of the asshat kids who molested it there sucks. The fretboard at the very bottom was pretty tore up as well. Lots of people figured it'd be a good idea to play slap on that bass I suppose.

GC is asking full price for the instrument, as well... :crying:

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Nothing interesting here in AL. Brand new store though, maybe they'll start getting some trade-in's soon. It is a shame how badly these basses get beat up.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The closest GC to me is in Paramus, New Jersey. Ive been there 2-3 times. They have a decent selection, but not great. Lots of fenders, 1-2 stingrays, ibanezes, warwicks.. basicaly teh same stuff as my local music store which is 5 minutes away, maybe one or 2 really expensive bassses are at GC though, but i dont really have interwst in playing them at the moment. My local shop has about 30 fenders, 10 ibanezs, a few deans, 5 warwicks, one stingray, a few gibsons, and 5-6 spectors. (im probably forgetting some..)

I mainly go there now to paly the spector N2000 Q5. They have 3 of them, all with a different finish, and one of them has gold hardware (and they charge 50 bucks more for it? :-/) .

8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    everyone else's guitar center does not have wonderful basses, only the one in boston. For some reason, probably proximity to berklee, the boston guitar center has lots of nice instruments that people traded in. I just wish they'd charge reasonable prices :(

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I love livin in Mass.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You would know, how...?

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's all in the past.

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I dont like GC, Nothing But Fenders, Warwicks and Ibanez...

And I personally have never seen a Vintage Jazz older than 1989... it it cost a Butt load of money (1200? or so) for what it was... It was the equivilent of buying a Candy bar for $6.75

13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I was at the GC in Albany yesterday... they had a couple nice Euro Spectors (although one of them had so many fingerprints on it you couldn't even see the finish and the neck felt like there was dried spit all over it), and the Warwick Jazzman I've been lusting after (the thing it set up so bad I want to kill myself, though). They had a Bongo there too. It was the first time I've ever played one, and WOW. It was awesome sounding.... but I dont know how I'd feel about myself if I went gigging with an electric orange toilet seat.

There a 75 (I think?) fender at the GC in Albany. It's nice, but it feels like hundreds of 15 year olds put their greasy little mitts all over it.

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The only reason the GC had/has nice stuff is because of a guy name Owen who up untill resently worked there.He was buying up the cool basses. I'm affraid thats over now though.

AJ

15. So they finally got some stuff worth playing at the Albany Guitar Center? I may have to stop by there on my spring break.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I live about 90 minutes car ride south of Albany. Never been to the GC.. is it worth going?

17. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Well, they have a few nice ($1500+) Warwicks, lots of stingray's and SUBs and the Bongo, and lots and lots of Ibanez and Fender. There's alot of basses there. I'd say it's worth a trip. Beware though, most of them have been manhandled almost to death, so it's your call.

EDIT: if you need directions, send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    HMm i might want to try a Bongo sometime, but maybe not, so i dont get GAS

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If I were you I would be happy there is a GC around... There are none here :eek: :bawl: But, I can get some of the basses you mentioned, but never have I seen anything higher-end than a Warwick Thumb nt 4 in any of the shops... :bawl:

20. Tp be quite honest, it's not worth driving that far. I wouldn't waste your time. I live in Albany, and when I heard there was a Guitar Center opening, I was really excited, because the only other GC I've been too is the one in Boston, ehich has got lots of nice stuff, new and vintage. I figured the new store in Albany would be something like that, but it's not even in the same league. When I went there they had some Fenders, a couple Spectors, and a few Warwicks, and that was about it. Certaintly no better than the previous Albany music store, Mars Music.