Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went out for lunch and came back with a '75 Fender P..(m)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveB, Jul 26, 2000.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I left the office at noon to get a sandwich. On impulse I stopped by a local guitar shop just to see what was new and voila...there it was...a mint condition '75 Fender P. I picked it up and fell in love with the neck...plugged it into a new Fender Bassman 100 and loved the tone...and walked out of the store with it.
    Hmmmm...now how do I rationalize for my wife how a sandwich turned into yet more gear? Oh well...at any rate,a lunch hour well spent!!!

2. That rules!
    I went out for lunch and came back with a burrito.

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I understand fully how you could be drawn to a music store at lunch time and then to the Fender. I also understand the justification process later on at dinner. I wish I could find a vintage Jazz or Precision someplace where the owner or proprietor does not know the value of the instrument and has it priced ridiculously low. All I can think of is perhaps an estate sale. No pawn shop would have such an instrument typically, and E-bayers are generally too astute. Well, anyway. Dream on.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I went out to lunch and have never been the same.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Rick...I'm with you on that one. In my town (Toronto)you would never find a vintage bass or guitar in a pawn shop because the vintage shop owners have these guys on a retainer to call them when anything "old" comes in. I didn't overpay today but I certainly paid "market" value.

I have never bought a bass or guitar for vintage value. I buy them to play them. It's like baseball gloves. You can try on a thousand of them and then you slide on the one that "fits". I'm like that with bass/guitar necks. When it "fits" I have to buy it. Of course, baseball gloves don't have to sound good too.Today's impulse buy could have just as easily been a brand new American Standard.

6. i went to the gc (im now boycotting it) today and saw a '79 standard P for $1100, but the guy who worked there wouldnt give me a cord to try it with an amp, so i decided to play it acousticcly, it was great, but then the same guy made me put it back and asked me to leave, the funny thing is that i have almost $1000 in my bank account, and he COULD have made some commition, but he f***ed it up.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Is that the whole story, tallguybcs? [​IMG]

I've had a few lunches like that. Last year I found this for less than $500 in a pawnshop. It's a 78 Ash/Maple JAzz. It's not a reissue.

[​IMG]

8. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tallguybcs:
    i went to the gc (im now boycotting it) today and saw a '79 standard P for $1100, but the guy who worked there wouldnt give me a cord to try it with an amp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say what you will about Mars, but the thing that continually amazes me about the one near me is the staff's seemingly unending patience with browsers plugging in and playing at any and all volumes. Cables are always readily available, and I never have to ask for one. I don't know that I'd buy a bass there because I'm just as close to Chuck Levin's Washington Music which sells instruments at about 61% of list which means I paid $630 for my MIA Jazz compared with the $799 asked at Mars, but I buy enough peripheral stuff there that they know and tolerate my coming in all the time to play whatever strikes my fancy at the time. It doesn't seem to matter what a person's age, they let you go. I saw a ten year old kid who obviously did NOT play guitar plug a Strat into a Roland guitar synth and hack away. I wanted to grab it out of his hands and tell him to shut the hell up. The staff, however, didn't seem phased. On the other hand, I try to look at your situation from a businessman's standpoint. Do you go in there all the time and never buy? Then come in and want to test-drive a vintage piece which demographics tell me (the store rep) you probably can't and won't buy for at least 5-10 years (I'm in direct contact with A LOT of teenage musicians, and believe me, vintage P-basses are NOT at the top of their want lists). Now, don't get me wrong, maybe you would have emptied your bank account for this bass, but let's be honest, did you SERIOUSLY consider paying a grand for this instrument? I'm not saying what the employee did to you was right, I wouldn't run a shop that way, but in the big picture, I can understand it.

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Bon Apetit!!!!

10. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    A smart store owner should treat his customers well, even if they are 16. When the kids get older, wiser and RICHER they still remember who´s an ass and who gave them respect. Great deals are not the only factor involved when someone is buying an instrument. If a guy in a store is nice and lets you try stuff out and answers questions I will find it fun to go to that shop and I will also feel temted to buy all the basses in there!

11. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i went out to lunch and returned with heartburn.

i like MARS alot too. I am trading in my Crate BX-25 to a better rig soon and they have said they will give me close too 100% ceredit as long as I have my original receipt and paperwork. Be careful with their axes though. We noticed 3 axes that had bad damage to them that were hanging on the wall. check it over closely.

Service there is outstanding IMHO. But I doubt I'll buy any basses there. The local shop (Alpha Music) gives free lifetime adjustments and always gives me a good deal on anything I get from them.

------------------
    Sean

My website

My eBay stuff

CDs and Concert shirts for sale

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    We have a music store chain in our town that is at the other end of the spectrum. You can walk into a store and sit there for four hours trying every piece of equipment in the place and no one will say a word. But when you try to get some help from one of the many salespeople ( who for the most part are standing around chatting to each other)they look at you with that "how dare you interupt my nap" look.For those of you from Toronto I'm talking about Long & McQuade.And I'm no kid with no money.I spend pretty serious money every year on stupid GAS attacks.If you owned a store you would want me as a repeat customer.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My 14-yr-old son says I'm still out to lunch...

BassBuzzRS likes this.