Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went shopping for a Fender...came home with a Spector!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Ok, so I've been gassing for a Fender Jazz. I pretty much detest GC, but it's close to where I work, so I head over there on my lunch hour (or so... ;). I've been wanting to play a Geddy Lee and compare that to the Am jazz. I play the Geddy and really like it, but before I get to a/b the Am jazz I see a Spector Rebop 5 in natural sitting there.....uh, with a price tag of $499.00!!! This is no "scratch and dent" either. I'm not a 5'er kind of guy (MTD and Elrick 5's gone bye-bye...), but this thing really grabbed me...played wonderful with a truckload of varied great tones. It's about 11:30 a.m. and apparently they had a big Labor Day sale yesterday. One of the sales guys is going around removing the sale tags on various instruments and spies me with the Spector...the regular "sale" price is $999.00. I tell him I'll take it for $499.00 and he mumbles something about that being only for yesterdays sale....has to talk to the manager, but I make it clear that I won't pay a penny over that....a few minutes later it's mine! :hyper: I'm sure they didn't lose any money (even with a $1499.00 list), and I hadn't done any homework since I was looking for a Fender, but I think I "done good" on this one...I couldn't walk away for that kind of quality at that price...anyway, that's my score of the day! :bassist:

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I scored yesterday as well...went into my local GC for the big sale, walked out with my old EBS 311 cab I had sold to them a year ago for $450...and I only paid $250 for it. Hmmm, lets see here...a years' air-conditioned, climate controlled storage for -$200...I'll take it! I originally sold it because I was running short of room in storage. Now, I've upgraded my rig (twice) and finally have the garage space to store it in. I might store it on eBay though...LOL...I also picked up a good condition Peavey T-15 guitar for $50. I don't play guitar, so it goes to the Bay...

3. Congrats! We love to hate 'em but sometimes ya' just can't beat 'em! :D

4. Halidon

Halidon

Aug 7, 2004
    Nice job! Great pickup for a great price!

I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago. Went into GC just to poke around, and found a ReBop 4 string on clearance for $399. Brand new, right out of the box. They were closing them out to make room for the new Legend series. Thanks to the advice of some of the TBers here, I went back the next day and picked it up before I headed out of town for vacation. Even at the higher regular price, the Spectors (especially the Euros) such great basses for the money, but at the clearance prices they are just ridiculous!
    If anybody is looking to try Spector, now is a great time with all the GC clearance pricing. My local GC had a Q4 for $250, and had a neck-thru Euro for $799. A couple of the other local GC's also had a few good ones left here and there....but the pickings are slim.

All-in-all, to get basses of this quality for this price we should all feel very lucky...even it is from GC!

Halidon

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses

Congratulations on a great purchase! Going in for something else and coming out with a Spector is a bit of hobby of mine! ;)

Though I am GASing for a Geddy Jazz myself at the moment.... :bassist:

6. Hey Cetera - I'm an awful person :confused: I played the Rebop alot last night and then picked up my NS2000 4 and immediately (again!) realized that I just like 4's better. It's got upgraded emg's and a hipshot detuner and just feels so much better, so I'm going back to GC today to return it---and there's a better than even chance I'll be leaving with the Geddy! :hyper: I'll keep you posted.

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    haha! Let me guess..... you used to be indecisive, but now you're not so sure... ;) :D

Seems a shame though as you haven't currently got a 5-string and the price was such a steal... :meh: :bassist:

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You never know what's gonna "connect" with you. I remember in 1997 I just joined a band and was looking for a good solid 4 stringer for rockin' out. I played everything I could find under $1000 and one day I picked up a NOS Peavey Palaedium which was $550 with case. It <i>absolutely and completely blew me away!</i> I still own it, though I rarely play it anymore and would sell it to the right buyer.... :bassist:

9. Wow! I guess I deserved that lampoon! :oops:
    I've got to tell you that in all honesty I didn'ty think the B string was very good at all....that's what really killed it for me...there was no definition there at all...but I have to agree that at a price of $499, it's still not such a bad deal

10. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Man, some guys get all the luck! I'm glad you got such a deal on a Spector at GC!!!

If had been me, the salesman would have gone to the manager, come back and say, "sorry, but we're adding another $500 to the $999 sale price." The Dallas area GC's suck IMO. :mad:

I usually get better deals at independent music stores.

11. Me too Robman! I only went to GC just to do some comparison shopping with no intent to buy...the price is undeniably sweet. I'm heading back in a couple of hours...I'l throw in my offer to swap it for the Geddy which is for sale for $629...pretty much a universal price, but their always on Ebay for about $500 so I wouldn't pay more...if they won't do it I'll just take my refund and say "thank you"!

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Well done man!!! As you see, a Fender is not hard to beat at all (says the most radical Fender hater on earth). ;)

ANDRUCA

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not to muddy the waters here, but I just got a Geddy recently, and I'm continually blown away by the playability and tone... even with the stock elex. Got it on "scratch-n-dent" for $530 brand new. Fell off the wall at a local shop and smacked a couple Ampeg combos on the way down. Very MINOR blems on it (none on the neck/hs). Got super lucky.

Also, to qualify my statement a bit, my other basses are MTD, Zon, and Roscoe, so I'm not easily impressed. Don't get me wrong, as those basses are definitely a lot nicer, but for a Fender, it's off the chart and a complete blast to play. I'll definitely check out the Spectors at some point, as I know they're great, but the Geddy's definitely a keeper. I'm just glad Fender's still makin'em.

14. Looks like I need to change the thread title to NOW read:
    "Went shopping for a Fender...came home with a Spector...took the Spector back and came home with a Fender"!!! :D
    Specifically, they swapped me the Geddy I wanted for the Spector Repob for the same $499...I'm a happy boy!! :hyper: Looking forward to taking her to rehearsal tonight----minus the verbal flogging about yet another new bass! :p

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, you asked for it...

BWAA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

I still haven't played a Rebop, so I can't compare, but if your Geddy works like mine does, you won't believe it's pretty much a straight up Jazz with stock passive elex. 'Course you have pissed me off now that you got my same bass w/out the blems $30 cheaper, you filthy dawg. ;)

Wanna' hear some more Irony? My least favorite Jazz color is black, but I just had to have this thing after playing and hearing it. Admittedly, I'm a Jazz fan from way back, had a late '70s I bought new (ok, dating myself), but sold it 'cause it killed me to carry the heavy ass thing. Now, I have all that same tone with a lighter package. It's GREAT.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

NEWSFLASH!!! He swapped the Spector for a FENDER Geddy Lee Jazz.

Next time read the thread.

17. "filthy dawg"....well, if the leash fits I'm happy to wear it! :D

Hey Vic - are those tuners ok? Seems to be a common gripe, but they look fine to me...just as long as they function effectively. Have you thought about changing the pups or are you happy with them? I'll keep 'em as long as the bottom end is sufficient, otherwise I might switch to Fralins. I know what you mean about black--don't much like it either (but I can't resist those block inlays---very striking!).....AND, this makes my second black bass in 2 months---the other being a Sadowsky standard 4 with a maple neck! :eek:

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The tuners on my Geddy are a little cheesy, but they get the job done. I have no problem with the stock pickups at all. Mine have plenty of booty, and sound like a great old Jazz bass.

Like vics, I own some pretty expensive instruments(Nordstrand, Zon, Peavey Cirrus) but my Geddy isn't going anywhere! It is a keeper. I just wish it was a five string.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nice score on the Spector!

I thought I'd check out the Toledo GC for similar savings, even though I was a day late. I stopped in Tuesday.
    Now mind you, Im not a kid. Im a 40 yr old who has been playing for 28 yrs now. Im not rich by a long shot, but Ive been known to impulse buy a bass I see that I like. In other words, I'm PRECISELY the type of customer whose butt I'd be kissing if I was a saleskid. I walk in and start looking over the basses. Some salesman, probably early 20s, with bleach blonde spiked hair, walks over to me, looks at me for a second, doesnt say a word, picks up a bass and plugs it in. He begins the most horrible slappa wanka million note per second solo. This continues on for a few minutes. I walked away,hoping he knew I was quite unimpressed with his FiElDydexterity. I thought about looking for the manager and asking him if he paid his sales bozo by the note, but I just left instead. I was completely dissapointed, as I had seen precious little of that behavior in that particular GC in the past. There were certainly no good deals to be had that day.

20. Jeff---I didn't have the heart to tell him.. :meh:

And what nerve----considering my tagline says "incurable p bass addict"! :scowl: ;)