1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

went to a local pricey small music store to play a lot and buy nothing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Oct 15, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I went and spent about 2.5 hours today looking for a possible back up bass. I went by a local smaller music store (high priced) and tried out a bunch of basses. My main bass is a Carvin LB70 with J99 and Basslines pickups and my other basses are all weird unique basses.
    Here are my feelings on what I played:

Warwick Corvette Std 4 string passive model: did not like this bass at all. It hummed and buzzed like crazy and I didn't really get into the passive sound. It had very weak output.

Warwick Thumb 5 string bolt on: Very unique and funky sound that I really liked, but it wasn't very veritile - most settings just sounded about the same. Very neck heavy. It also really showed me that I prefer 4 string basses. The B-string mainly got in my way (I'm sure that would improve with time, but I just don't really get into it. Could be fun in a four string version as a distant future bass, but IMHO it is the ugliest of all Warwick basses (except maybe the Dolphin).

Ibanez BTB400 (?) 4 string: This was a surprisingly OK bass. It wasn't super, mainly becasue the pickups sounded a little thin, but it wasn't bad either.

Tobias Killer B 5 string: If I had to have a 5 string this is what I would go for. This was a very good bass, but 5 strings really aren't my thing. Maybe if I could find a cheap 4 string version. :) This bass had very good sound from the bart pickups and a lot of tonal options (warm to bright and slappy). the B string was the tightest of the few 5 strings I tried.

Peavey Millenium 5 string: again they didn't have the 4 string version. The B was a little floppy, but overall this bass has good sound. The pickups aren't spectacular and the pre-amp didn't give too much of a tonal change (maybe a weak battery). This is a very attractive bass (nice flame top, birdseye maple fretboard).

Epiphone Jack Cassidy: Played fairly well. nice sound, but the pickup rotary switch made absolutely no change to the sound when moved (probably a broken wire or something). I don't really care for the gold top. If I were going to go semihollow, this would probably be the bass I would choose.

Guild Starfire II: pretty bass. would have been better if it actually worked when plugged in. It was completely dead. Sounded OK unplugged. The neck was a little small for my tastes as I kept pulling the G off of the side of the board.

MIM Fender Jazz: This bass just plain sucked. very poorly put together and buzzed beyond belief. Also I am not really a Fender type of person. I know there are some better MIMs out there, but this one was really bad.

MIA Fender Jazz with custom flamed body front and back with a very nice light sunburst finish: The best of all of the 4 string basses I played. Very nice feel and great sound for a passive bass (I typically like active basses better). And even though i stated in the previous post that I am not really a fender kind of person, I could almost consider this one (more so if it were the deluxe active model and weren't $1500:eek: :eek: :eek: )
    That's a little bit of a high price for a backup and I still like the sound and feel of my Carvin better.

Well that was my adventure for today. I think the next basses I want to try (even though they are expensive) are a Modulus Flea, Warwick Streamer Stage II, and maybe an MTD. I wish they had a 4 string kingston for me to try, but this store didn't carry MTD basses.

-KB

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Um, thanks?

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just figured I would share my impressions of these basses in case anyone else was looking into any of them. and also hopefully looking for some advice for a cheaper but good backup bass. The only one I tried that is really close to the back up bass price range (<$500 for me) was the Ibanez BTB.
    I know at this point I couldn't afford any of the more expensive basses I tried, but I wanted to see it they were really worth it IMHO. Unless anyone wants to make a donation to my back-up bass fund :D :p

-KB