Went To A Michael Manring Solo Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My wife and I went to see Michael Manring at a local club called Nighttown last night, which is basically just a restaurant with some tables cleared away for the performers to play. We got there early so I was able to sit about six feet away from them the entire night.

A solo Stick player named Greg Howard opened, and he was incredible. He really wowed the audience, as most of them had never even seen a Stick before. Michael was even better than I expected and played some very interesting stuff. He played a lot of slap, which I wasn't expecting, and he plays HARD, but the majority was his fretless work that I really love. I never realized how much potential the Zon Hyperbass had until I saw how he used them in several songs; he takes full advantage of all the detuners at the headstock and bridge very regularly. Greg and Michael even played a Stick/bass duet at the end of the show. I got the chance to meet him after the show and he was an incredibly nice guy. Check out both of them if their tour goes to your area-it's a great way to see solo instrumentalists at work.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds cool! I would love to see Michael live, but he always seems to play in the Northeast and the Left Coast.:(
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - several of us Brits saw Michael with Steve Lawson in London's Bass Centre and were equally wowed!! ;)

You might find a thread describing that show somewhere round here!
  4. He was here in NYC last Saturday night, but, I had a party to go to.

The party stunk!

Why me? :(

Mike :bawl: