1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Went To A Michael Manring Solo Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My wife and I went to see Michael Manring at a local club called Nighttown last night, which is basically just a restaurant with some tables cleared away for the performers to play. We got there early so I was able to sit about six feet away from them the entire night.

A solo Stick player named Greg Howard opened, and he was incredible. He really wowed the audience, as most of them had never even seen a Stick before. Michael was even better than I expected and played some very interesting stuff. He played a lot of slap, which I wasn't expecting, and he plays HARD, but the majority was his fretless work that I really love. I never realized how much potential the Zon Hyperbass had until I saw how he used them in several songs; he takes full advantage of all the detuners at the headstock and bridge very regularly. Greg and Michael even played a Stick/bass duet at the end of the show. I got the chance to meet him after the show and he was an incredibly nice guy. Check out both of them if their tour goes to your area-it's a great way to see solo instrumentalists at work.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Sounds cool! I would love to see Michael live, but he always seems to play in the Northeast and the Left Coast.:(

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - several of us Brits saw Michael with Steve Lawson in London's Bass Centre and were equally wowed!! ;)

You might find a thread describing that show somewhere round here!

4. He was here in NYC last Saturday night, but, I had a party to go to.

The party stunk!

Why me? :(

Mike :bawl: