Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to Bass Emporium -For those who live in Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Oct 21, 2002.

1. After reading the threads about the new Zon and Lakland dealer in Austin, Texas, I decided to go check the Bass Emporium out for myself and give ya'll the lowdown: The Bass Emporium is the only high-end bass dealer that I know of in central Texas, let alone the entire state. It is a one-man operation, and the proprieter has several Zons, a Roscoe, and US and Korean Laklands. He also has two Ritter Raptors on order. The guy was very pleasant and encouraged me to play everything he had in the store, which I did for about an hour. He also had plenty of Aguilar and Bergantino cabs. The owner has big plans - celebrity clinics could very well be in the future.
    All in all it was a great experience and I recommend anyone in the central Texas area to go check this store out. After envying all of you who live in the Washington (BassNW) and Florida (Bass Central) my prayers have finally been answered.

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Larry Morgans is another great high end bass store in Texas.

It is in Dallas on at Garland and Miller.

They have a Zon or 2, Alembics, Foderas, a 70's Ric, and a lot of other great stuff.

Amp wise they have a lot of hard to find stuff like Bergantinos, and many other great amps.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't forget Austin Bass Traders!

Thanks for the lowdown. I'll have to get over there ASAP!

brad cook

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LM is great, as long as you don't have to deal with MM too much.

Right down the street is another decent store, Speir music. They have USA Laklands, Roscoes, Zons, Status and usually a couple of other nice high end makers. And they are the only G&L dealer in Dallas, too.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Where is the Bass Emporium located?

6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Sweet, I am curious about the prices, there are a couple of local guitar shops here that are very proud of their stuff. Guitar Rez thinks selling one bass or amp or guitar for 3000 it's better than selling three for 1000 (they mark them up at least 50-75%). Not too competitive with Mars and GuitarCenter prices, I will check it out asap.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's about time that Central Texas gets a new bass-exclusive shop. I wish that Portland would do something like that. Maybe it's a good thing that my only local (?) bass shop is 3 hours away. I'd have GAS all the time.

I have enjoyed the quality of bass related stuff that I've got to mess around with at LM and Speirs. And I like MM. He's done good by me in the past although he's really ragged out my Bag End cabs. They've usually told me to grab a bass and plug into anything that I've wanted in the back room. Funny as I've never seen a Zon at LM's. MM did tell me that they do intend to build up a significant bass and cab stock and begin selling on line.

8. Bass Emporium - 8312 Burnet Rd., Ste. 101
    512.691.7445, just down the street from GuitarCenter...

9. daventx

daventx Guest

Oct 23, 2002
    Houston
    Looks like I will do the trek from Houston to finally get my hands on a Lakland to see what all the hype is about.

www.chrome44.com

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That looks like a real good line-up of toys. I hope that they do well. It would be my hangout of choice if I were a local.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with MM's customer service. But he is very opinionated and also refuses to accept it when somebody proves him wrong. Back when Lane Poor disappeared, I went into LM to price pickups. I was looking at Bart MM's, and wanted one for a 6 string. He proceeded to tell me that Bartolini was going out of business, and that I should get a Lane Poor. I informed him that Lane had disappeared from sight and it didn't look like he would be selling pickups anymore. He swore up and down that he could get me a Lane Poor in 1 week, and that it would take 6 months to get a Bart, if they 'didn't go out of business while I was waiting.' I called him on it. When I called back two weeks later to check on the Lane Poor pickup:rolleyes:, he denied ever telling me that he could get one for me, and said that he told me that Lane Poor was out of business.

I have also had conversations with him where he told me that Eden's were worthless for anything other than Marcus Miller tone. He told me that I was lying when I said that I could get a good, warm, old school tone out of my Metro.:rolleyes: I have no problems with somebody having a different opinion, but to act like I am an idiot and tell me I am lying is a bit much.

Oh yeah, I missed the part about the Zons. I have never seen a Zon at LM either.

12. I generally frequent LM, TWICE today in fact. They generally seem interested in always having the kind of strings I want on on hand, even though I am a big nobody in the bass world. They do have some very nice basses there, but anybody in the area needs to also check out Speir music down the street. They DO have zon's and at least one really nice Roscoe, vintage fenders, a couple pedullas, and many other tasty choices. If you go, make sure you look at the high end room, don't just browse what is hanging on the side wall. I made that mistake the first couple of times I went there. It's like a whole new world!
    SO... in summing up, I would give the accesories/service award to Larry Morgan, but I think Speir has a better selection of high end basses, except for Alembics, which LM has many of.

13. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    I made my pilgrimage up north (I live in south Austin) to Bass E. I like the fact that John will just sit there and chat for like an hour about nothing but BASS! The prices are competitive and there is not a bad selection of basses, amps or pickups. The Zons were nice the Lakland played well (first time on either). I want the Auguilar 4x10 4ohm. Also carried EBS and Bergintino amps and cabs. John is also knowledgeable about the local music scene, knew allot of the names I threw out there. He also said a Big name clinic might be coming out in Feb. stay tuned for details.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I had a job interview in Austin this morning so afterwards I finally got to swing by BE. Nice little place and John was very cool and talkative. I played several basses and just like everyone said above he was very encouraging of me to play basses "You should check out that Roscoe before you go" etc...

I DID check out that Roscoe by the way. IT was an LG-3005 with spalted maple top (didn't look very spalted though but very nice looking) and he said a spalted purpleheart fingerboard. It was beautiful bass that played fantasticly and sounded great. Dual bart soapbars, not sure what preamp. Man I've got some serious GAS but I don't think I'll get relief unless a get a REALLY good paying job immediately. It was over 2 and a half grand. That was the highlight of my trip.

EDIT: This was actually a Roscoe LG-3000. It said 3005 on the tag and I was thinking it strange that they should call a 4 string the "3005" but I just checked the website and verified it's a 3000.

Other impressions of gear:

MTD - Saratoga (maple board) - Played superfast but the highs were kinda thin.

MTD Kingston fretless - didn't have the level of mwah that I've gotten out of some fretlesses but played pretty fast and seemed easier to play than other fretlesses I've tried for some reason. DEFINITELY worth the money.

Lakland Skyline J bass - I was very dissappointed in this bass. Didn't grab me and seemed ho-hum.

Lakland Skyline P bass - Better than the J to my hands and ears. I'm usually a big J guy. Sounded nice and passively beefy. I could use this but I've played better.

Zon Sonus Custom V - Nice. Played well sounded like a Zon. I was a bit lost in the narrow string spacing

Umm...don't think I played any other basses. The reference rig I was using was an EBS 350 head and Aguilar GS410. Sounded nice.

Other basses they had that I didn't play were Hofner, Italia (weird Italian retro basses), Lots o' Skylines (LOTS - especially for a smaller dealer), another Zon Sonus sumin' or other 5, ummm...MTD Grendel and Kingston 5er's, a Veillete (sp?) six string hollow body fretless, and I don't remember what else.

Lots of Epifani, Bergie and Aguilar cabs. He also just got in some new Stewart and Demeter stuff and I think I heard him say he was getting in some Ashdown.

Well...that's about all I've got. Go now!

brad cook

ps - John was wearing the "Got Bass?" TB shirt!

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, John also dropped some more info about the possible upcoming clinics. He said that he thinks he's going to be able to get Michael Manring in February! He said it's not for sure so don't get your hopes up completely yet. That would be very cool.

He said that he wants to try and get Gary Willis, and Jeff Berlin too and we discussed how cool it would be to get Chuck Rainey also. Rainey is in Dallas now so he said that could be a very likely possibility.

brad cook