1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Went to Birdsong: My report...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rfclef, Jul 30, 2007.

1. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Well, after the one kid fell in the chocolate river and the other one turned into the giant blueberry, Scott turned to me and said "You WIN!!... take as many of my basses as you want!!"

{ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz Snore... WHAT?:confused: )
    Rats. Woke up:bawl: .

Seriously... departed the little E TX town of Arp this morning, and dropped by the massive Birdsong factory in Wimberly on the way out of Texas... Tremendously cool! I offer this report from my little hotel room in Sonora TX.

First off, Scott and Jamie could not have been nicer... Scott showed me and my 7 & 8 year old (Nate & Anna, respectively) around the shop, showing all the various steps of the building process, from the big slab o wood on... Sent em home with a little piece of Purpleheart and Bloodwood (which the kids thought was cool), answered all of their (and my) questions, showed us some of little experiments and stuff he has around the place... Even mentioned some "guy in Georgia" that has a buncha their basses... lol...

If you have looked at their website, I gotta tell youm the pics look great, but are nothing compared to seeing the instruments in real life... I got to see the Anniversery bass, the bodies for the 5 strings (sharp!) and the quilted maple someone was asking about just looks sweet! I got to play a Corto for the first time, and man, it was nice... It really love the sound and the feel is great!... GAS is set in in a BIG way!... Every one of those instruments is one of a kind by virtue of the wood alone, and they are all beautiful. I WILL have one one day....

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Cool. They look to be great basses.

Have you been by the Barker bass factory/shop here in Oregon, Bobby?

I still haven't made it by there, though I've driven by several times. I'm curious to try one of them.

3. Rowsdower

Rowsdower

Feb 14, 2007
    Michigan
    very cool they were so hospitable , I only own one of their b-box varitone pedals but man.....some of those basses......criminal thoughts to come to mind to get the money to get one(kidding of course haha)

4. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    No... Did not even know of them... where> when?> I'll go...

5. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    My bass is currently in progress there at Birdsong, in assembly.... HY5 Number 03. It's the pecan winged w/a mahogony center and walnut stringers. I'm super excited, as it should be done soon!

6. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Sounds like a great time, Bobby! I'm glad your kids were able to go!

7. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Awesome - I've been watching that one on the page - that's a heckuva bass body.

Bobby - I'm jealous - I've been through the shop, but my daughter wasn't with me. The plan is to take her and my wife with me when I go to Wimberly next year. My little girl knows Scott by picture and by phone and by the noogies he tells me to pass on to her.

8. JeffSki

JeffSki

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks for the report! Visiting the Birdsong shop is definately on my list of vacation possibilities. :hyper:

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Props for Birdsong. They are the nicest people in the business (well, right along Roger Sadowsky and Michael Tobias).

10. The Birdsong family is growing......its the best GAS I can think of...I hope to visit Wimberly in the near future again,...they seem to be a part of my extended family...the vibrations are very positive !!! ....thank you Scott,Jamie and wyatt and the rest of the birdsong gang for making such fine instruments that can bring such good feelings to ones self !!!:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :D

11. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Yeah... Great experience... kids liked it, I liked it... I DEFinitely want one.... I can't decide if I like the corto or the Sadhana better though...

After seeing some of the beautiful woodburning he has done in some of the guitars, I had some uber-geeky ideas about some simple designs I might like on a bass (nothing fancy: I was thinking a bit of one of Tolkiens drawings... see? geeky) But now, I am trying to decide if just a great piece of wood with lotsa personality is the way to go... Can't really go wrong, though...

I WILL have one... oh yes, I will...

12. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon

Hmmm... Before I go back to Woodburn, I am stopping to see my brother in Bend...:ninja:

13. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    Is there a Birdsong bass in Europe or in Germany?

Gruesse, Pablo

14. I am aware of some in Scotland,England and a second is heading to France ,also cortobass #108 is heading to India......... if you email Scott or Jamie @ birdsong ,they can give you more specifics......:bassist: :ninja:

15. JeffSki

JeffSki

Apr 18, 2007
    I felt those same vibrations from my first chat on the phone with Scott and through my many emails with Jamie. It makes me really feel like they're the right people to be building my bass.

Now... where can I steal a plane ticket to texas? :ninja:

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I paid a visit to Lee barker last year. He's a great guy, and he makes some sweet basses. I haven't taken the plunge as of yet, but as soon as I can justify owning one, I'll be all over it.

17. HenfieldJ

HenfieldJ

Feb 10, 2007
    Detroit
    I was very fortunate that a business trip for my day job took me to Austin, and I was also able to stop by the shop. Scott was gracious enough to stay late for me (I didn't arrive until after 6pm). He gave me the nickel tour and shared his philosophies with me, I almost had to pinch myself, as I had been wanting to visit them for a long time!

And then it hit me! I was able to try out a few basses, and I was hooked! I was blown away by the shape and feel of the neck, the balance of the body, and the sound of that wood!! I did have a problem choosing between Sadhana and Cortobass! I think that thier basses work so well for me is the fact that I am the same heighth as Scott!

This was back in March. When I returned home, I started the process of selling off some of my other basses so that I could afford my own Birdsong. In May, I called up and ordered my own Cortobass, serial number 101, and I have been impatiently waiting ever since.

Dealing with Scott and Jamie has been a joy, from answering all of my silly emails, phone calls, and staying late to allow me to visit. I applaud their work ethic and philosophies on bass and life in general. Their website is fantastic and gives you many insights to their trials and tribulations.

Just waiting for my bass......................

18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Man... those Birdsongs look VERY fun to play. After discovering the short scale in my Rob Allen Mouse, its really got me wondering what a solid body bass w/ steel strings and magnetic pickups would be like in short scale.

19. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Steel Strings are a no-no on the Birdsongs. They create wolf tones for some reason. Scott tried steel strings early on and it was bad, so he makes a point of recommending against them on the page.

That said, with the varitone possibilities and a good set of nickel strings, the Birdsongs are GLORIOUS.